New Whirlpool washing machine LSR9434PQ

Just got a new washing machine. One thing that is different from older Whirlpool models is that it seems you must start the wash with the dial exactly on a pre-defined start point (visible line where the dial clicks). If you don't start exactly on a pre-defined start point you could get unexpected results like the machine might start in spin-mode instead of washing. The requirement of starting exactly on a pre-defined point seems to be by design, but is definitely different from the way older machines worked. With this new one, even if I start slightly beyond a pre-defined start point it won't start normally. I assume nothing is wrong with my machine, right? (They probably just changed the way the wash cycle knob works)

J.

Reply to
jeff

I assume you have one of the new models with an electronic dial type timer. No mechanical clock that you could start a little late. Basically a push button timer but simpler to read as a dial and less likely to scare off the consumer who is afraid of electronic buttons on a washer.>

Reply to
Tom

Hi,

Model# is??

model# helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Forgot to add, that is -part- of the model# in the title. Then we all can see what yours looks like :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

My understanding is that LSR9434PQ is the whole model number.

J.

Reply to
jeff

I picked the closest one LSR9434PQ0, and the manual says on that one

**Push in the Cycle Control knob and turn it clockwise to the wash cycle you want. Reduce the wash time when using a small load size setting. Pull out the Cycle Control knob to start the washer.**

So it looksl ike it should start on other spots besides just the line marking.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

appliguy

True, it does say this in the instruction manual, but each cycle gives you more than one pre-defined time line to start the cycle on. In other words, if I recall correctly, there are at least two lines (likely at least 3) that you can can start a cycle on.

So, "reduce the time" just may mean "start from one of the lines with a smaller wash time." I guess I could call the 800 number just to rule out a problem, but I suspect it is designed to work the way it does. Granted, if it is indeed working as intended, then they should have clarified that "you must start exactly on a line" in the manual (to prevent confusion).

Jeff

Reply to
jeff