The perfect sump hole

I'm going to be building a concrete sump hole in my basement. The hole that has been there for 16 years was just a hole in my clay floor.

At the other end of the basement I bought a plastic one, but I really don't like it because it is deeper than it is wide, so it is really more suited to the pedestal type pumps rather than the submersibles that I like.

So-- my current plan is to build a 30" square about 2 feet deep. 3" concrete bottom & sides with a PT wood cover from 2x6s. It will be water tight except for the access holes for my interior perimeter drains-- bottoms of those drains are about 10" below what will be the top of the concrete [or paver?] floor.

I'm toying with the idea of having one end of the hole lower so silt runs into it, and there is less standing water in the hole. [the pump would be in the low end]

Any other thought from folks who have cursed [or appreciated] their sump holes?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Put the submersible pump up on a block, which would allow the silt to fill in around it, and keep the pump out of it. For ground water, silt should be very rare, I've only seen it when the water flooded in, not from normal drainage.

Reply to
John Hines

How about a titanium sump holder bracket?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon