Sewage backflow basement sink..... HELP !! :(

Hi,

We have a large cast iron sink in our basement. Just this evening we went into the basement and noticed raw sewage and water had collected in the bottom of the sink. It had just accumulated and hadn't begun to smell to much before we got things cleaned up.

I noticed that everytime I flush the toilet upstairs water and some sewage bubbles up through the drain into the sink.

The pipe runs down from this sink into the mainline, also attached to this line is our washer.

Our house is connected to the sewer and is on a slight gradient above the street. I should also mention that it has been raining heavily over the last day or so, if this has any bearing.

Can anyone give us some advice on how to investigate and fix this problem?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
Richard

Your field is saturated to the point that it can't take anymore, and water will seek its own level and the only thing keeping it from backing up into you sink was a P trap which is designed to keep out gases not back flow. Best solution is to dump the washer into the sink and then the sink to a laundry tray pump pumping it into your sewer system so the next low spot in your waste line is above ground level so it can't back up anymore.

Good luck, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
Art Todesco

Start witha c all to the city or sewer utility. It could be roots clogging the sewer lateral or it could be due to sewer overloading from the rains. Ask if they will help in any way (many cities do). Ask neighbors if they are having/had similar problems.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi, No backflow check valve? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My house has a clean out connection on the outside between my house and the street. Does yours? It is now time to get very familiar with your outside sewer connection to the main line..

This message is from someone with an identical problem in our city. "My neighbor has had the same problem for years. The good news is you can call 311 and the City will send out a truck with a high pressure blaster to clean out the line saving the cost of a plumber's call. The bad news is they are not likely to fix the connection itself. "

PJ

Reply to
PJx