New mobile phone chip question

There is also something about operating voltage, some (old) are 5 V, newer ones 3 V or less? I sort of work on the basis that this is consumer kit and if it fits without being forced it should work or if not work not suffer damage.

Using a SIM cutter muddies that simples "fitting without force" caveat though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then normally just pointing the new one at the same google account as used for the old one will do all the contact migration for you (and probably calendar, app purchase history and a few other things).

Some phones come with additional migration apps. The one I used recently invited you to download an app from the play store on the old phone and run it. That put up a QR code on the screen which you pointed the new phone at. It the set about transferring anything you wanted from the old one by a direct WiFi to WiFi connection between the phones.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think there's a small hoop to jump through to get the Play Store on the Find7 ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. I'm on PAYG, so own my phone. My old much loved Nokia N95 started getting flaky and the replacement I bought used a different sized simm.

I took them both to my local Vodaphone shop and they eventually made me a new simm of the correct size for free. But didn't transfer my contacts.

I had all the Nokia data backed up on the PC and you'd have thought it an easy job to transfer the contacts to the new Samsung S4. But it wasn't. Eventually managed it via PhoneCopy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, but I've transferred the contacts manually. New card is in and up and running on new jellybone. BTW, it's a tremendous phone and worth considering if you're into a phone with all the bells & whistles. Very powerful and a great camera. As good as an iPhone (spit) at half the price.

Reply to
Bod

Sharp craft knife and a template, it's easily done.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not with the nano sims, those are thinner and you can get a cut down one jammed in the slot with some of the phones that use those.

Reply to
Simon Brown

How much thiner? Rubbing on a bit of 800 wet 'n dry on a smooth hard surfce will make a standard SIM thinner. The chip might be too close to the non-contact side though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes it is. Makes a lot more sense to just get a nano sim.

Reply to
Simon Brown