Why do Screwfix want my mobile number so badly?

The screwfix website really wants my mobile number when I place an order: phone number is a required field on the order page, and SMS is the only way to receive notification when the order is ready for collection.

Why do Screfix want my mobile number so badly? They send me an order confirmation email, so why can't they send me another email when the order is ready for collection? Surely most people can receive emails on their phone nowadays.

Toolstation use email, so it's not like it can't be done that way.

Reply to
Caecilius

I can't receive texts on my BT Relate 80 either :-(

Reply to
Andrew

Possible because so many tradesmen using Screwfix seem to do everything on their phone including during these times sitting in their vans in the car park and ordering for click and collect.

Reply to
alan_m

Stop showing off because your phone's got last number redial and my Tele 782 hasn't :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Er, have you tried sending a text to the landline number that that phone is connected to?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And SMS is quick and convenient. My "exercise" watch will display incoming SMS as well as email, but SMS is quicker to read and identify.

Reply to
newshound

I had the same thing with another company yesterday. This data grab obsession is just weird.

Reply to
tabbypurr

No more weird than the associated paranoia.

Reply to
Richard

I suspect they feel SMS is more reliable and not subject to SPAM filters.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Sometimes useful. When having items delivered, especially bulky items, the delivery driver will often send a text to say that they are 10/15 minutes away. Possibly an automated service based on his position and pre-planned delivery route.

Reply to
alan_m

I have.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, but I wish they would accept that [some] landlines can accept SMS, our Gigaset phones do and I'm *much* more likely to notice and read an SMS sent to the landline than one sent to my mobile.

Reply to
Chris Green

Virgin landlines supposedly accept texts. But IMLE they garble them incomprehensibly.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ya know, when you look at all the problems caused by people having other people's data, (it's a multibillion pound per year industry) it's quite naive to misinterpret saying no as paranoia.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Could've saved a few keystrokes by stopping before "having".

Reply to
Richard

What with ?. I don't have a mobile :-)

Reply to
Andrew

If you bought a modern smartphone you could get a Grindr account and leave the rest of us alone.

Reply to
Gordon Bennet

I wonder if it's related to trying to find the tradesperson who placed the order to deliver to on a site?

Reply to
Graham Harrison

They can, but only if they have setup email on their phone. SMS will work out of the box. Since they have probably made it part of their social distancing mechanism for click and collect orders it makes more sense than relying on the email address.

Reply to
John Rumm

email me your number, and I will text it...

(you will get an automated call form BT that will read out the text using a voice synth)

Reply to
John Rumm