Why so cheap?

After my question yesterday about circular saws, I was taking a look at the possibilities, one of which was a bare Makita (BSS611Z), which is £139 at Screwfix. Searching the web, this same item can be had for about £95 (inc delivery) from a couple of Amazon sellers. This seems one hell of a differential. I can imagien Screwfix being say 10% more, but this is over a third (~50 quid on 140). Is tehre something we should all know about the Amazon sources (like they're dealing in returns or something) or is it just a matter of them makign a smaller margin?
Not that I have decided on this oen at all...just curious to know if tehre's a reason (!)
GMM wrote:

The trouble with internet retailers on ebay & amazon is that the customers can see the cheapest price at a glance so the sellers effectively get locked in price wars with each other[1]
Screwfix have their brand and customer base on their side so they don't have to play that game. Mind you, since Kingfisher took them over prices haven't been particularly competetive and at one point were going up 10% per catalogue.
[1] Hence the profusion of stuff for 99p on fleabay (eg usb leads) that can't have any margin in at all after postage and fees, even if they buy these things for 2p each.
--
Scott

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:53:12 +0100, Scott M wrote:

But it's a good way for a seller to build their feedback profile before they really start fleecing people!

There would seem to be several cunning tricks sellers can pull. Mostly I've had no trouble, but one individual asked buyers not to leave negative feedback while an issue was being resolved, then instead of offering to pay return charges removed the listing (so I was no longer given the option of leaving any feedback at all) and re-listed the same item (identical picture, identical seller) under a different reference.
--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@NoneHome.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Phil L wrote:

Well, there will be a margin for my imaginary sellers, but the turnover (margin x number sold) can't be greatly worthwhile when you look at the sheer number of sellers on ebay trying to flog my hypothetical USB leads. Even if they carry many lines and do some branding, no-one goes to ebay saying "I'm going to Bloodnok Industries to see if I can get a USB lead" whereas Poundland has limited competition (99p Stores and a few independents that never last.)
--
Scott

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:10:12 +0100, Scott M wrote:

Almost never. We have an independent here that has seen off several pound shops! Must be at least 20 years...
On 19/08/2013 20:53, Scott M wrote:

Yes, 99p for 50 Nintendo DS stylii (the kids keep losing them), including free delivery ... from Hong Kong. I thought I'd chance it at that and yes they did turn up on time!
SteveW
On 19/08/2013 20:42, GMM wrote:

On Amazon, the price history has been:
Price Type     Lowest             Highest        Current      Amazon         £103.31 (Apr 21, 2013)    £128.89 (Mar 20, 2013) £115.23      3rd Party New     £83.99 (May 24, 2013)    £97.99 (Jan 11, 2013)    £88.49      3rd Party Used     £88 (May 17, 2013)    £88 (May 17, 2013)    £88
A miracle that anyone would pay almost as much (or even more) for a used one than a new one! Even Amazon's own price is less than Screwfix.
Axminster are selling what I assume to be the previous model at £144.95.
--
Rod

By the way, I got those prices by looking at the Camelizer - a somewhat odd browser add-on which seems to track vast numbers of Amazon prices - and provides an alert service. (I am not totally OCD with a penchant for tracking Makita prices on Amazon.)
http://camelcamelcamel.com/
This is not exactly a recommendation more a "maybe have a look?".
--
Rod

On 19/08/2013 21:24, polygonum wrote:

Well, everybody is entitled to have a hobby ;)

I can't believe the s/h prices of some things either. Speaking as someone who never gets around to selling anything, I could probably make a fortune by clearing out my garage and selling stuff on fleabay...
On Monday, 19 August 2013 20:42:07 UTC+1, GMM wrote:

Beware of differing specs. Makita allegedly sometimes sell near-identical l ower-spec versions in multi-powertool kits. Somebody may be splitting up ki ts.
e.g. pressed v. cast sole plates on circular saws.

FWIW when I bought a Makita jigsaw early this year I got it here best price and an excellent unit but sadly let down by a rather flimsy carry case;(..
http://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co.uk/
--
Tony Sayer

On 22/08/2013 18:34, snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

I recently bought a load of Galv bolt down post fitting, Screwfix were 40% more expensive that ToolStation for exactly the same item.
Remember Screwfix used to be very good ... when they focussed on Screws & Fittings .... since they were bought by B&Q ... prices have slowly crept up.