Small water pump powered by hand drill

Hello...

I have a small water pump that I can attach to a hand drill.

Something like this:

After a period of inactivity measuring in years, I have tested the pump again.

It briefly worked, but then stopped pumping. The steel shaft fitting into the (rubber?) paddle inside the housing has become detached.

The shaft now rotates freely.

I shall attempt to repair it, but what adhesive should I use to bond the shaft to the paddle? I assume the bond will be under lots of pressure if the pump starts to work again.

Thanks....

Reply to
alo

alo formulated on Saturday :

Cheaper to buy a new one, than waste time trying to repair. Look in the pound shops or on ebay.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Thank you Harry...

But I want to attempt a repair first (that's why I asked about adhesive)..

My time is there to waste...my pump to repair...and your promotion of 'pound shops' noted.

Reply to
alo

Check for a cotter pin or similar ?

Glue would not hold a thing like that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

------------------------

You are provably right... though it was obviously bonded to the shaft when it was made, as there is no cotter pin in the construction. Maybe a press fit when it was put together.

Thanks

Reply to
alo

Shear not pressure. I doubt any glue will be up to the job unless the shaft is already knurled or can be make rough. If the shaft is already knurled the free spinning has probably opened up the hole in the paddle too much.

Think I'd find something to use as a pin right through the whole lot. Maybe a bit of 2.5 mm copper wire in a snug hole and the ends bent over to hold it in place.

And yes, I agree. My time, is my time to spend how I want. Fixing something gives a nice feeling of satisfaction. Even more so when the fix is quick and simple.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If the rotor is rubber, then a "rubber solution" type adhesive, I'd suggest evo stik contact adhesive. However, if the rotor is no longer a good fit either because of wear or perishing, then something more gap-filling. Perhaps Shoe Goo? Clean surfaces of rust etc first.

Reply to
newshound

The normal failure mode is that the rotor, which is like a series of paddles and flexible goes hard over time and thus will not grip the normally splined or similar shaft. I think only a new pump will fix it since even if you did rebond it, the bendy plastic it relies on for the vanes will also be brittle which may well be why it stopped in the first place. Also always stretch some kind of mesh over the intake to those things, they do not like bits in the water very much. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Truly, have a look inside and see if its gone brittle first, but I suspect its hardened the plastic. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Can you even get it apart (non destructively) to re bond the shaft to the paddle?

Reply to
Davidm
.

Yes the steel shaft comes out of the paddle, so getting a bonding agent to shaft and paddle will be no problem.

I will give it a go with some two part impact adhesive, if it works great.... if it doesn't then its time to dump the pump.

Thanks

Reply to
alo

------------------------------------------- The two part impact adhesive worked the ancient pump is pumping water again...the shaft stayed attached to the paddle.

Though I wouldn't be confident in a sinking boat with this pump as my only way of removing water.

Reply to
alo