Wanted, simple mains powered water pump for garden

Is there such a thing? We just want a simple pump with (probably) BSP/Hozelock input and output connectors for moving water from one water butt to another and/or pumping water into the greenhouse.

Doesn't need to be continuous rated, it will only get run for tens of minutes. Submersible pumps don't fill the bill. Needs to be able to self prime and lift water a metre or so on the suction side.

You'd think it was a simple requirement but there really doesn't seem to be such a thing at a sensible price (i.e. less than £100, preferably a lot less).

Any ideas?

Reply to
Chris Green

It's not obvious to me why a submersible pump isn't suitable. Self-priming is no problem provided you fit the pump below the upper level of the water. Something to be said for having ELV pumps in gardens, plenty of bilge pumps on eBay.

Reply to
newshound

Chris Green explained :

A used central heating pump?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I can't get a submersible pump into the water in many cases, that's the problem. I think submersible pumps need to be in the water to keep cool don't they?

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, possibly, but it's not really ideal is it? Surely people (like me) sometimes want to run a hose out of water butt A, across the garden and into water butt B (or into containers in the greenhouse). It's quite likely that electricity isn't available at both ends too, so a non-submersible pump that can produce a reasonable amount of suck is needed (not so much that it collapses the hose of course).

Reply to
Chris Green

I'm using an old shower pump to boost pressure from our borehole. One would probably do what you need.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Would it be possible to fit hose connectors at the bottom of the butts so a pressure washer that can take water from a butt could be used? Lots of disbenefits - eg size, noise, can't be left installed - but you did say "any"...

Reply to
Robin

I missed the OP but if you are prepared to put some manual work in, what about

or even a bilge pump

They may give you some ideas even if not ideal for you.

Reply to
Bev

If I had an old shower pump then that would work but new ones are rather expensive.

Reply to
Chris Green

Why do you want it mains powered? Do you have a death wish or something?

The one I use is a 12v tiny submersible pump originally for a solar powered fountain by a maker who went bust. It relies on being submerged for cooling and runs on twelve volts. The solar powered fountain was useless tat, but the pump was impressive with 5L/minute and 3m head.

Looked something like this but mine is bright orange and still works.

I dropped it in a water sump to provide greenhouse irrigation. It is fine for running 15 minutes every few hours.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Electric drill pumps were what I used to use, just clamp the drill somewhere a and shove it in the chuck with a hose on each end. Note, good idea to fit a filter on the input end. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Most people put a bucket or watering can under the tap :-)

Reply to
Andrew

In many cases my water butts are on the ground (OK, bad planning but that's the way it is), also they mostly don't have taps.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, I have lots of those squirting water around and above our pond. However trogging around the garden with a pump, and a 12v supply of some sort with trailing wires in between isn't my idea of fun. I'm just after a neater way of handling things.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, I'm beginning to think that may be the best solution. The only downside is that they sort of need 'attention' while they're running. I guess the thing to do may be to rig up some sort of board with the pump fixed to it and a way to hold the drill (and keep it switched on).

They're certainly cheap.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think your problem is suck, then. Cheap pumps are going to have simple impellers with a reasonable amount of clearance. You need clearance in your application otherwise it is going to get stalled by the small leaves and twigs that are inevitably going to get into water butts. So, you will need to feed your pump with positive pressure which sounds like no problem, just put it on the ground next to your water butt and connect with hozelock connectors. Don't expect them to be able to suck water out of an underground reservoir such as I had at my last house (fed by rainwater, feeding to a traditional cast iron hand pump by the back door).

My mate's brewery mostly runs on things like these, all fed by positive head.

Some of them are described as self-priming but of course they won't have unlimited "suck".

Reply to
newshound

I was wondering when flowrate would get mentioned.

There's hope yet for UK.DIY

AB

From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Sounded interesting for a job I may have but sadly Hilka say "This would NOT be suitable for water" (see Q&A)

Reply to
Robin

IME experience of electric drill pumps they burn out too easily

Reply to
fred

You won't be impressed by the flow rate.

Reply to
newshound