Solar-powered pump for a "water feature"

SWMBO has asked me to fix-up, and get working, an old wall-mounted water feature - a cast iron lion; water is supposed to come out of its mouth and land in a bowl. First observations are: it needs to be
solar-powered, the collection bowl is too small for the reservoir (so it needs a tank, such as a 5L plastic container, behind or underneath) and that the collection bowl needs an inner bowl that can overflow into the main bowl and out of a pipe at the bottom. Water features on-line seem to quote flow rates of about 250LPH, which seems rather high but is at an unspecified sun exposure (insolation?) so I guess would never be achieved in the real world. I haven't found a solar-powered pump that specifies how far it will lift (I presume blowing is better than sucking) so I'd appreciate recommendations for a pump, and some advice on the area of solar panel needed to run it. (I discounted using a windscreen washer pump because of the extended run time compared to washing a car windscreen).
On 30/05/2020 15:31, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

No recommendations but my neighbours had a solar powered water feature in their garden for around a month and presumably it is now in land fill.
On a bright sunny day it would start out with intermittent spurting of water for around 3 hours. After this time the water would flow continuously as long as the sun was shining. On an overcast day the feature barely got out of its intermittent spurting mode.
Their solar panel was quite small, so, with a pump rated at 5 to 10W for an acceptable flow rate you may need a solar panel that is relatively large and not something as small as fitted to some garden lights
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Yes my thoughts as well. and certainly, with no battery back up and only needed at short periods in nice weather. Surely it cannot be that hard to provide it with some kind of supply from the house, say a 12v one? Brian
--
----- --
On 30/05/2020 18:20, alan_m wrote:

Once I get the thing ("Leo") running I'll consider adding a battery, but then I'll need a light sensor or timer to switch-off the pump in the dark. My proposal for where to put the thing has been rejected so I'm waiting for more input from management. The job list is so long that mounting Leo (!!) will have to go down the list for a while. I removed a steel casement on Sunday so replacing rotten bits of timber frame, welding a new bottom rail onto the casement, getting the thing powder coated and then glazed are going to have to take priority over most things.
On 30/05/2020 18:20, alan_m wrote:

Watching Alan Titchmarsh on TV (Saturday 8:10am) installing a solar powered water feature with a 1 foot x 1 foot solar panel. It wasn't working very well (if at all) on a bright overcast summer day!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

I can honestly say that I have never seen a successful always working solar powered water feature. OK if you only want it sometimes and can charge a battery, but otherwise, no. Brian
--
----- --
Swmbo bought a water feature which has a small solar panel, a bottom bowl r eservoir with a submersible pump which lifts water about 400mm to cascade b ack to the reservoir. It works when the sun is shining which coincides with sitting out in the garden. Not so good part is birds,come to drink from it , crap in the water which then goes green and the pump blocks with algae. S he's become quite adept at cleaning it out of late. :)
On 02/06/2020 05:24, Cynic wrote:

Thanks. A 400mm lift is encouraging. One of the reasons for having it is to provide water for birds so I'll have to emulate Trump and put out a Tweet saying "no crapping in the well", or similar :-)
On 30/05/2020 15:31, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

I took a solar powered fountain apart for its rather nice submersible pump. The thing was basically tat and was supposed to float on a pond and do a jet of water into the air. It never managed more than a few inches on its puny solar panels about 6" square. I was surprised that when powered by a 12v SLA that it shot a slug of water 3m into the air.
It was fast enough that you could do dancing water with it from a standing start (though with increased wear and tear on the unit). It was remaindered stock from a company that went bust.

Most of the cheap solar pumps are submersible and sit in the low reservoir - the water helps to cool them. Some are only good for a certain period of continuous running at full power and need derating at higher temperatures. A solar panel would have to be very big to source enough power to damage one but a 12v SLA could easily do it.
Main thing for a long life is make sure it stays submerged. For tests try powering it with a 9v PP9 and see how much flow that gets you.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 02/06/2020 10:15, Martin Brown wrote:

"First catch your pump", to misquote Ms Hasse :-) (i.e. I still need to find a suitable pump)
On 02/06/2020 10:47, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

Consider also the noise level of the pump. The attraction of a water feature is the sound of trickling water and not the buzz of the pump.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk