valve for water powered sump pump?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

About a year ago a friend asked me about installing a water powered sump pump for him. I checked with the town and they require an expensive valve to insure there is no backflow between the pump and the water supply; if I remember correctly, there are two kinds that could be used, and they require the expensive one. Ultimately the friend decided not to do it, so I forgot about it.

Today he called wanting it to go in before he goes on vacation Monday! It is a simple enough job, but I can't remember what the valve the town required was. An ideas?

Reply to
toller

backflow valve.

Reply to
Bob

Monday! It

this is a bit OT but...Why would anyone install a water powered one?? Wouldn't a standard electrical one do the job? This is a serious question, not trying to be funny or anything. I can only figure one possible reason - power outage with city water still available.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

They probably require a reduced-pressure principle backflow preventer- The cheaper one is probably a double check valve with an atmospheric break-

Dan

Reply to
Dan

That sounds right, thanks.

Reply to
toller

You're right! During the Great Blackout of 2003, it would have worked ... until the water towers emptied out (which happened here). To avoid a replay, city spent $$$$ on several huge diesel-electric units to supply emergency power to the muni pumps.

Roby

Reply to
Roby

That is exactly why; to pump the sump when power is not available. We are 40 miles north of the lake that provides our drinking water, and about 1000' lower elevation. The whole thing works on gravity forever. Despite this I recommended a battery powered pump, but he likes water power.

Reply to
toller

forever.

Thanks. Does make sense in that situation.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K