New Gas connection, cheapest!?..

Need to connect up a house thats never had the Gas connected, there is a main out in the road. Anyone had much experience as to who charges, well not a lot to do that, seeing the blinkin Gas is pricey enough anyway!, but its got to be cheaper then the electric storage rads!..

Cheers..

Reply to
tony sayer

Based only on hearsay (the wailing and gnashing of the few I've known do it over the years) I'd (a) start by asking your local network operator for a quote for the job which breaks the costs down between stuff only they can do and stuff you can get down by others; (b) get quotes from Gas Safe folk for the stuff they can do; and (c) compare the saving (if any) from using the Gas Safe folk with the potential bother when the network operator and the Gas Safe blame one another for what's wrong.

Reply to
Robin

I went through all of that two years ago at the house we're in now. Did a 95% rebuild, and replaced the oil fired system with gas.

First step, contact your local gas DNO. Our one (SGN) had an on-line ballpark quote engine (which actually came out to be more or less spot on)

You apply, and the DNO scrutinises your plan, and gives you a proper quote. You pay up (in full) and they make an appointment to come and install a pipeline from the street main to your desired meter location. You have to purchase the meter box from them.  They turn up and install the box and dig etc the feed into it. And that's all. You're then allocated and given a Gas Supply Point reference

Next stage, give that reference to an energy supplier  of _almost_ your choice. Only the 'big six' are able to initiate a new connection. We are with OVO for energy. I selected SSE for the gas supply (even though at the time OVO owned SSE, it still had to be vanilla SSE) The bloke came along and installed the meter. That's the point you start paying a standing charge. The next day our plumber connected up the boiler to the meter. After a month or so I migrated the gas supply to OVO and unified it with our existing lekky account.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Pretty much my experience of the order of things when we were possibly buying a house without gas. If I remember correctly the connection by the DNO in our case Northern Gas Networks was a fixed charge of £750 but that was 10y ago things might have changed since.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Mine was about a Grand (inc VAT). You can arrange for someone else to dig the bit of the trench that's on your own land, unless it's a very long way, I don't think it saves much.

I had a bit of a kerfuffle with the electricity DNO. I asked for an underground connection to replace the overhead one (No brainier because their pole is in our garden and just 6 metres from the house, and where I wanted the meter point relocated to). They turned up to do a recce a few days before the job, and announced they couldn't dig most of the trench because it would be too close to the scaffolding (that had appeared since the initial survey). I got my builder to dig the trench instead. He charged me 45 quid per metre. It took me 9 months of struggling to get the cost of the trench the DNO didn't dig refunded. When the cheque did finally arrive, there was just a 42p difference between that, and what my builder had charged (I can't remember which way round it was !)

The meter install was free of charge (It's their meter not yours of course)

Reply to
Mark Carver

Have you checked to see if *wayleave* is available on that electricity pole? Always nice to get a bit back:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's something I  asked about originally when we took ownership, thanks for reminding me, I must rekindle that one. I think it fell on stony ground thanks to Covid (or that was their excuse !)

Reply to
Mark Carver

For many years I got £5 every five years for a pole. Then the leccy poles were relocated and there wasn't one in my field any more.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright