New Electricity Connection

I am renovating a semi-detached cottage. The cottage is isolated but we have rented out one side of the cottages for many years and hence there is an existing supply already. I asked for a new connection from the electricity board for the cottage i am renovating and submitted the power requirements (it will be heated with storage heaters). The quote has now come back and they say the transformer needs to be upgraded at a cost of =A35000. Is this normal? What is the standard power supply given by a small transformer. There is a much bigger house near by with its own transformer the same size as the existing one at the cottage.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
tank

so ask for a quote without storage heating, and use something less overpriced for heating instead. Storage heating is by far the most expensive option.

If you want to later, even on a meanie 40A supply theres enough headroom for partial overnight storage heating, though not a full thingy.

Really, do yourself a favour and look to other forms of haeting.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Transformers vary in size, so depending on what its rated at and what=20 heating the cottage you rent out has, they may well be right to say it=20 needs upgrading.

The thing with storage rads is they`re all on at the same time, so=20 although the other larger premises might be getting fed by the same size=20 transformer, if they`re not using storage rads they might be able to=20 allow for a much greater diversity.

Incidentally, i`ve seen much higher quotes for a single phase supply :-}

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

Colin Wilson

Sounds like a new oil central heating system would come in cheaper, hopefully allowing you to use the existing transformer for both houses.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Unfortunately plumber has already installed a dualheat boiler (a combined unit for hot water and central heating) as the assumption was we would just pay the connection fee to the electricity board not need a new transformer. The boiler has a 9kW power requirement and is designed to use an off peak economomy tariff. The small cottage is only 2 bedrooms. Does anyone know what size the electricity boards transformers come in

12kW, 24kW... Thanks again.
Reply to
tank