Electricity supply question (The Owl Monitor)

I intend buying an Owl Energy Monitor but I'm not sure whether my supply is single, 2 or 3-phase. It is a semi-detached country cottage property and there are three wires coming from the transformer pole to a central chimney head. On the meter itself it says 1 PH 2W, and the meter has four outlets:

Left to right

  1. Red wire

  1. Black wire

  2. Can't see colour

  1. Red wire

Which one should the sensor be clipped to and will I need more than one sensor?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Reply to
Syke

If you mean it has 4 _connections_ (i.e. 2 in, 2 out), then you can clip it around any one of these -- it won't make any difference which one you use.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

and the 1 PH 2W means you have a single phase supply, so just one sensor.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's a bog-standard single phase supply - and you only need one sensor. [More than one phase would be pretty unusual in a domestic property, anyway.]

Since the *same* current is flowing through all 4 wires, it doesn't matter which one you use for the sensor.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for taking the time everybody; that's just what I wanted to hear!

Regards

Syke

Reply to
Syke