New Central Heating

I want to install a combi boiler for heating and water. Can anyone help with size selection please?

I have just moved into a small 3 bed semi which at the moment does not have a gas supply. I am waiting for the supply to be connected. There is just storage heating at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Liam McGuinness

Reply to
Willem Dafoe

the Worcester Bosch web site has a wizard which walks you through boiler selection, and then suggests suitable models, from their own range of course.

Piers James

Do you take baths a lot? Showers a lot?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Willem Dafoe

If you have occasional baths and mostly showers then a 30kW combi will do fine. With a small house you want a boiler that modulates down low on CH to prevent excessive boiler cycling when on CH - the boilers are way over powered for a small house. You don't want a constant click-click of the cycling all night. The excessive power is to heat water instantly, so modulating to a low kW is important.

The Glow Worm 30CXI (rebadged Vaillant) modulates down to 5kW. It has a one piece stainless steel heat exchanger.

I would go for the Glow Worm 30CXI @ 12.3 litres/min flow rate. Great for showers, fills a bath leisurely but not painfully slow, quicker in summer. However the filling time you get used to. You can fill to 1/3 and get in as the bath is still filling - amazing how many never think of that.

The 38CXI gives 15.5 litres/min DHW flowrate, but only modulates down to

6kW. If you take mainly baths then the 38kW is what you want. Fit a Honeywell CM67 stat programmer no matter what boiler, which also has anti cycle control incorporated.

Assuming you have a decent cold water pressure/flow.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel