Dremmeled!

Finally used my Xmas pressie Dremmel in anger. Had to fit about eight IKEA aluminium Venetian blinds for a lady. All had to be cut to width.

Nightmare of a job with a hacksaw, the ally square 'U' section was so flimsy even trying to hold it down whilst cutting it caused it to deform. First one took ages.

Nipped home for the Dremmel. Bloody brilliant. Used up half a dozen cutting discs, but the time saved & quality of cut was amazing.

Well worth the money.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hope you didn't charge the old dear for nipping home for such a small item that can be carried about in the bottom of your toolbox?

Reply to
George

Don't Ikea sell a hand held cutter to trim & re-profile the ends of their aluminium blinds?

Reply to
Mj

Half a dozen!!

I did three blinds with two of the pink ceramic ones and only had minor wear of the second. You must have a very heavy hand.

And in your line you will love that dremel for the little jobs it will do for you. Bloody brilliant little machines.

Get a cutter for tiles, absolute magic. You can write your name on them.

Reply to
EricP

It wasn't an old dear and, no I don't charge for nipping home to pick up tools. When my van arrives (I currently work from an Escort Estate) I will indeed carry it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yer but, it only trims the slats, not the top 'U' profile or the botton 'C' profile.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not seen those, I used the 25mm brown ones.

I'll check that out - thanks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There could be a business opportunity here as well.

Extra for "signed copy" tiling, like authors do.

Either than or you could spray a purple spot in the corner in the manner of Joan Miro.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Get the fibre-reinforced discs - they cut just as well but last much longer.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I've hardly used mine, but bought a chuck for it the other day. Do you have one, or do you still use separate collets?

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

The last time I had to do this the slats and the top and bottom sections were all plastic. "wrapped" the blind up tightly with bands of masking tape and used a table saw. SHMBO never noticed the corners weren't rounded. PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

As said get some dark grey reinforced ones. The brown ones they give you are rubbish and prone to shattering.

Yuo might have to keep trawling Ebay as they can be very expensive, it might even work out cheaper to buy a big kit and take them out of the kit then resell it minus them. ;-)

I use them to cut old tyres off rims (the steel cables) rather than cart them about to the tyre place and pay. Lol.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

That's by far the most useful tool, though some of the grinding attachments can be usefult for smoothing the edge afterwards. Ali of course eats grinding-type cutting tools.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Worth knowing you can get spare discs from Netto and Aldi at good prices - much cheaper than Dremmel ones.

Reply to
mike