New gas connection - cost / who to contact ?

As above - can someone tell me who I need to contact (are there options) to get a price for connecting to the mains gas in the road.

Its only about 8 feet from the house front wall to the pavement, and I know gas is in the road, and I want to install GCH.

The boiler would probably be better nearer the back of the house, so the pipe could come round to there either above or under ground.

Is there a standard connection charge (how much) and what does this include.

Do I need to dig the trench myself, do they include any length in the standard charge, and how deep must it be?

Its for a standard two-bed terraced town house - planning to put in a standard combi around 80,000 BTU / 25 kW

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
froggers

In laws just going down this route. Transco are the people, look in the phone book for your best number. They have been quoted £319.00 as long as the position for the meter box is within 23 metres of an existing main. They (Transco) will do all the digging/trenching etc. required, all in laws have to do is obtain permission from any neighbours where their land may be encroached.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I found them excellent, and in my case I thought their price reasonable. They returned after a couple of weeks to make good the lawn and path, and a good job they made. One important, though puzzling, point, if you go thropugh your gas supplier they use Transco, charge the same but add VAT, this it seems is the law. As I keep as much of my money out of the hands of that Scotsman as possible I went Transco. Cheers John T

Reply to
John Towill

In message , froggers writes

Contact Transco - If you dont already have gas I think there is a standard charge of about £300-£400, for a single residential dwelling. You would need to get a gas supplier to fit a meter.

I think

links you to the pages which give the info.

Alternatively, you could do it via British Gas, and they would include fitting the meter in the deal.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I would have thought installing a gas main to someones house is subject to VAT. Do you mean that the VAT incl. price from Transco is the same as the pre VAT price from your gas supplier. In which case it looks like the gas supplier is adding a margin equal to the VAT.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Providing an electric supply to an existing property will definitely incur VAT, but a new-build escapes it.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

That is an outrage,you are supposed to slag off companies like British Gas and transco becuase they are rubbish and they rip you off,,blah,blah,blah...oh and non of their workers can be trusted and they are lazy

Reply to
tarquinlinbin