What metal? Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Steel mostly.

Some copper too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is that really 2.5mm by 2.5mm? same diameter shank as length?

01912 324 179

have machine rivets 4mm diam by 8mm long, they're a helpful lot too, min order charge of GBP15+VAT+carriage

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie <andrew.heggie

Model Engineers ?

Macc models in Macclesfield will probably have some.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Ah, of course! I know them as leather workers.

But I couldn't get to their website.

Our local equivalent supplier doesn't have the right kind of rivets though :-(

I'll try Le Prevo again, thanks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Enjoy.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't say which material you want them made from, but I have thousands of aluminium and some titanium rivets, all shapes & sizes ( courtesy of BAe at Brough), if you drop me a line at snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk and I'll arrange to send you some. BTW you'll need to beg, steal, borrow or even make a rivet 'set' to fix them properly.

Brad. (don't forget to 'REMOVETHEOBVIOUS')

Reply to
Boaz

Try an agricultural spares supplier. The knife sections on combine harvesters are rivetted onto the knife 'back' and may be about the size you're looking for. They'll also supply the rivetting tool that will make the rivet have a nice round finish.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

That's worth a try, thank you.

We don't need a nice finish. These rivets are to fasten metal parts to make C17th and earlier lanthorns. One every mnow and again is no problem but we've had a big order from a museum and we've cleared the local supplier's shelves.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well this is a riveting conversation ...!

*ducks* ....

al

17th century ? Should be a "nice" finish, but it's far from what we usually think of as a "rivetted" look. They'd probably be finished with a "rose" or 5 strike head - hit the middle, then at a shallow angle on opposite sides, then same again at 90° between the first sides.

I make period rivets like this from annealed cut tacks. I use a nail header (a solid iron dome on a side handle, with a closely-fitting hole in the middle). Drop one in, tap it around, turn it over and add it to the pile.

Andy Dingley

No, the original examples we've seen aren't like that - I'm not saying that none were but the customer is happy with the pictures of the ones we've already made.

Yes, it's one way. Spouse has been making his own for some time, but ready-made ones, fwhen you need a large number, will save time.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher