NatWest - home card reader?

Yes of course sorry if I caused confusion.

HSBC is vague on this subject

"As I have several accounts with HSBC will I need to have a Secure Key for each?

It is possible that you will have several accounts with different entities of HSBC. Some of these accounts may require you to have a secure key. This is because HSBC Expat takes the security of its internet customers very seriously. We are constantly evolving how we keep you protected and Secure Key is the latest of these innovations. In the face of increasingly sophisticated online threats, it gives valuable added protection."

However this looks as if a mobile digital Secure Key can be used for more than one account. Internet Banking Support: lost HSBC details | HSBC UK

What happens if the mobile with my Digital Secure Key is lost or stolen? Call us and we'll immediately deactivate it from your accounts to prevent another person trying to use it. We can arrange to set up a new one as soon as you have a new device. If you subsequently find your old phone, you will need to activate a new .. It is possible to change the pin.

Reply to
Martin

By account I meant account user. Mine will work with my savings and current account. However it won't work for the wife even though one of the accounts is a joint account. She can log on using here id and a different OTP device and see her savings account and the joint but not my savings account.

The same is true of Santander but it uses the mobile phone for identity checking with a OTP tested when required.

Reply to
dennis

One account? You need several so you can get a decent interest rate on any savings you may have. The current accounts and their linked savings are about the only option for safe savings that make more tha inflation.

Reply to
dennis

You get 2.5%12 month deposit account in an Australian bank and 0.1% in a Dutch bank.

Reply to
Martin

It is the only way to get 3% interest on modest savings if you can meet the requirements to qualify for it. 1.5% on a couple of others - still above what most deposit accounts will pay.

Reply to
Martin Brown

5% on some bank accounts but you need anew one every year or two.
Reply to
dennis

CEO of ING bank gets EUR 3million/annum. We must be doing something wrong.

Reply to
Martin

That's regular saver accounts, Unfortunately with all of the 5% ones anyway - you already need an account with that bank or b/s Theres usually a maximum limiit of between ?2k and ?3.5 k for the account and you need to deposit between ?200 - ?300 per month; and they only last for a year.

Working backwards with a 2.5k limit and depositing ?200 a month you'd need to start with ?100, This would then go ?300, ?500 etc.

So the great interest rate would only apply to relatively minor amounts to start with, at least. Maybe its better than nothing but it involves a lot of faffing around IMO.

michael adams

michael adams

The NatWest in out local small town is closed because they get less than

100 customers a month through the front door. 57 last November. No-one can run a business on that kind of footfall.
Reply to
Huge

But that's not relevant to those who see a local bank (and free banking) as their fundamental human right.

I wondered the Wiki needed a page on DIY banking - in the form of credit unions. But I've not yet had enough to drink to suggest the obvious person to .... ;)

Reply to
Robin

So what? They're wrong. I don't care what people who are wrong "think".

If people want banking as a social good, the State should lay it on. In Post Offices, for example. And, oh look, they have.

Reply to
Huge

It's rather like complaining about a poor bus service you never use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They've closed lots of those too. Much quicker for me to print out a Hermes label and take the parcel to my local shop. Closer, less busy and open longer than the nearest post office.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)