NatWest - home card reader?

Maybe applies to the HSBC card reader but I can assure you that it makes no difference which card reader I use to make a Nationwide payment, the NatWest reader and the Nationwide one work identically when fed with the same card/PIN.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you have another bank's, try that - my RBS reader works fine with Nationwide.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The card does public key private key encryption/decryption the private key is your pin code.

Reply to
Martin

That one I can test. You are right the Natwest card reader appears to not be locked to a specific bank. I will experiment more. It was about to get thrown out since I no longer bank with them either. But now their card reader would appear to have some utility as being generic.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Which makes it pin code specific.

Reply to
Martin

If google you can find out how to change the pin code if you need to.

Reply to
Martin

not much point in them "IF" you can use any card reader is there??

-
Reply to
Mark

Yes. It means that you can prove to the bank that you have both the physical card and the PIN. You enter a one time transaction code that partly encodes the value of the transfer in pennies and it scrambles it when you enter your PIN to give another code that you type in.

It means new transactions can only be set up by someone who has control of both card and PIN (and sometimes mobile phone or landline as well).

Reply to
Martin Brown

There is. The difference is the pin code.

Reply to
Martin

I think yours must be different.

The Natwest card reader seems to work with several major UK bank cards and any valid PIN. It baulks at Santanders cards though.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Santander does use that sort of authenication they use passwords. When I was with barclays they also seemed to work using the date and time in some way.

Reply to
whisky-dave

HSBC's 2 factor card isn't a reader.

Huge

Not sure what point you?re trying to make. One pin, one card works in either machine. The card readers aren?t ?paired? with a specific card, or paired with a specific PIN. It?s only the cards that are paired with their PIN. I would argue that this does not make the *reader* PIN code specific.

Incidentally, the link offered previously suggests that whilst many machines are interchangeable, but HBOS isn?t one of them. Maybe HSBC is also a ?non-standard? one?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Wrong. All the information is in the card. The reader is irrelevant.

Reply to
Huge

One great advantage of the way any reader works with any card is that the muggers can carry a reader to check that you have given them the right pin for your card, so they no longer need to march people to the cash machine ;)

Reply to
Robin

I bank with Nat West and my wife banks with Barclays. We can use each other's card readers - ie a NatWest reader will read a Barclays debit card and vice versa.

I was told by the counter staff in my NatWest that this applies to all card readers, but given other people's hit-and-miss experiences, it seems that this isn't always the case...

Reply to
NY

It was supposed to be closed much sooner, but there was a major campaign to save it. I'm sure that they'll be much quieter next time, the way Royal Mail was, when they eliminated our PostBus service.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The non-backlit display on my Barclays version has got a bit dim, so I went into the branch to complain and they just gave me another one.

I inquired if it needed to be locked to my account, but apparently they are generic, so if someone steals your card and knows your pin, they can presumably still empty your account.

Reply to
Andrew

And Co-op works with Natwest.

Reply to
GB

Don't you have a reader that can tell you what an LCD display is showing?

Reply to
GB