NatWest - home card reader?

Wrong PIN three times blocks HSBC cards - ask SWMBO.

Reply to
Martin

Mine's bizarre too. I got a new sort code as part of the ring-fencing (as I assume you did). However, despite me being a modest retail customer they have given me an address of Corporate Banking at Churchill Place. I am of course happy with that. I can tell people I am now a corporation.

Reply to
Scott

I tested mine with my Barclaycard and it produced produced a code, so they cannot be account specific.

Reply to
Scott

As I mentioned above, I tested mine with my Barclaycard and it worked okay.

Reply to
Scott

I thought best practice was to change passwords/codes every month?

Reply to
Scott

You are not supposed to share your PIN with anyone - *EVER*.

It might be but all that results in is people tacking month number on the end of the same password (or postit notes on their display). The more senior the individual the more likely their password is insecure :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

It seems some cards don't like some readers and certain readers are a lot more tolerant of other banks cards. There probably is a logic to it somewhere based on which banks systems use home card readers. It seems the ones that don't have cards which elicit a "wrong card" response.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's a good idea to have a number written on your card, a fake number, then if you loose your card someone might chance their luck by typing it in, th en if yuo;'ve selected the correct type of number that looks corect upside down like 1188 then they might try 1188 then 8811 (if you put a line under it) with a bit of luck the card will be eaten by the ATM if another attemp t is made.

I did this with my first two cards havent bothered since as I raraly use a cash point.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No they aren't.

Reply to
Huge

The police et al do not recommend that policy when a mugger has a knife at your throat while an accomplice, with the card, stands ready to run to the cash machine.

Reply to
Robin

Perhaps the word "willingly" is implied?

Reply to
Huge

Good point :)

Reply to
Robin

RBS with Co-op, too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Do we have examples of a card that works in reader A but not in reader B? Which banks are involved?

If your card doesn't do EMV CAP it won't work in any reader, with the 'wrong card' message. Some banks don't do CAP at all, or not for credit cards or savings cards. However I'm curious to know if there are incompatibilities between different CAP-enabled cards and readers I'm not aware of.

As I said upthread, HSBC Group is a red herring since they don't use card readers.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I have a number of card readers (Nationwide, Lloyds and a Belgian BNP Paribas one) they all seem to be cross compatible.

I have got the 'wrong card' message occasionally but that is when I put my Nationwide credit card in the reader by mistake! :-)

Yes, their security device isn't a card reader and *is* locked to your account. I have one of these too.

Reply to
Chris Green

The only mod I make to my card(s) is to obliterate (soldering iron, so DIY content :) ) the CV2 number. It's not needed for in-person transactions, and frustrates anyone who steals the card wanting to use it online.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's not impossible to have a mechanism where a backwards entered PIN causes a "insufficient funds" message as well as an alert to the nearby plod ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

All things are possible but your proposition raises some questions. Let's start with:

a. would you give a mugger the reverse PIN if he tells you "if my mate can't get any money you'll lose a couple of round objects"?

b. what good does it do you if the police know your card has been used in the ATM at location X if within 30 seconds of the ATM message the mugger holding you in an alley half a mile away has cut his losses (and you)?

Reply to
Robin

It is possible but if you do that then the assailants will also know what it means too and you get your throat cut. It has to call plod and payout slowly or something delaying that doesn't look too unusual.

Industrial alarm systems have a duress code for this reason. It cancels the alarm OK but also prioritises police response to visit ASAP.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Before we spend any more time discussing, I would be curious to know how many incidents there are of cashpoint mugging to start with ?

I suspect it's rare enough we don't need any additional features anyway.

If I were mugged, the only way the mugger would get money is to march me to a cashpoint as I just don't carry cash.

Reply to
Jethro_uk