Name that screw

I have a need to find a replacement screw Luckily thread is nothing esoteric M4 x 8

If a Phillip head .... but the head is fairly wide ~10mm and pretty thin.

Anybody know if there is a name for this type of screw ...

rick

I would call that a bolt of some sort, rather than a screw. Does it taper at all at the 'sharp' end ?. Difficult to say from the pic.

Reply to
Andrew

flat wafer head gets you close ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

or low wafer head

Reply to
Andy Burns

Set screw

Reply to
Jimk

Machine screw. But then much like the difference between a ship and a boat, I don't think it has ever been detailed when a machine screw becomes a bolt.

Reply to
soup

Wafer head.

Which is :-

soup

Try ebay with a search of

black wafer head screw m4

Reply to
alan_m

Or machine screw?

Reply to
Jimk

I was taught a bolt isn't threaded all the way. One that is is a machine screw.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Bolts have an unthreaded section, screws do not, not able to see the pick, but there are a lot of special heads around. Thin profile Cheeseheads were used a lot on some radar gear. Also some serrated head countersunk ones that gripped the holes. I guess somebody will make almost anything if there is a demand for them. My pet hate are security screws with completely illogical tools needed to take them out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

A bolt usually has a 6 sided head on it for a spanner, while a screw has a slot or similar for a screwdriver.

Reply to
RobH

Even setscrews can have different profile and thickness heads of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Use a normal screw and a big washer.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Agreed.

Might you get away with a pan head? Perhaps with the help of a file.

Reply to
newshound

Tell that to a coach screw!

No, a bolt has an unthreaded section. A screw is threaded all the way along.

There are machine screws, and wood screws, and grub screws, and...

Reply to
Bob Eager

try "pan head".

Reply to
John Rumm

Pan head screw.

Reply to
jon

When it has a piece of plain unthreaded shank.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A bolt is threaded into a nut to tighten it,

A screw is threaded into a female thread, or as in the case of woodscrews creates it own female thread.

Because a bolt can be used to join components through an unthreaded hole there's no necessity for the thread to go all the way to the end. However this is purely incidental.

Standard pattern woodscrews are plain at the end but are still screws.

Whereas machine screws can be used with nuts through unthreaded holes, in which case they're functioning as bolts.

michael adams

michael adams