MIG welding question

One of my many projects is to restore the (large number of) 1930s steel, Crittall, casements in my house, and the wooden frames they sit in. The problems are that the windows have leaded lights and haven't been maintained so many have been nibbled at the bottom by the rust mouse, which lets-in the rot mouse. I've been getting the steel sand-blasted to get the paint and rust off, cutting-out the rotten bits (Rage2 chop saw

- brilliant!) and welding-in new sections using a couple of spare casements for sources of metal. The steel is a modified H section and about 4mm thick so I'm bevelling the edges to about 1/2 thickness and doing butt joints, either in-line or mitred at 45 degrees. The problem is that the steel seems to slightly "run away" at the edges of the weld, leaving a small pitt. When I look closely while welding it seems to be generating small balls (not MIG spatter) but I'm fairly certain it isn't galvanised. Any comments or advice from experienced MIG welder wielders?

Reply to
nothanks

I thought that all Crittall steel windows were hot-dip galvanised.

Reply to
newshound

Correction, I didn't realise they actually started making steel frames in the 1880s; Wikipedia suggests they started galvanising in 1939 (although I suppose they could have contracted that out).

I'm pretty sure mine are, but that's post WW2.

Reply to
newshound

Phil

My house was finished in the late 30s and TBH I thought galvanising started in the 40s. If they had been galvanised I don't think they would have rusted as badly as some have.

Reply to
nothanks

Now I know it's called "undercut" I can dig more deeply.

Reply to
nothanks

Without seeing an image its difficult to diagnose but it sounds like you are either using too much heat or travelling in a straight line too fast. If galvanise were still present you would get lots of white smoke.

Try using a weaving motion erring towards the thicker metal.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

+1
Reply to
Jimk

I guess that ties up pretty well.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, since Phil pointed me at the term "undercut" I've been educating myself and the problem seems to be caused by travelling too fast on too high a setting. When I tackle the next ones I'll slooow down and use a lower setting. I'm fairly sure it isn't galvanised because no popes have been appointed ;-)

Reply to
nothanks