Moving the WC pan

It’s time to move the toilet so I need to remove the horizontal section of

110mm waste pipe from the stack and replace with a longer section. The stack has been in place since the house was built in 1975 and to make life difficult is just off centre in the house and exits through the roof. So I really need this to go smoothly otherwise it will become a major job.

Starting with the replacement I am aware of the need to chamfer the new pipe end and to apply liberal amounts of silicon spray to the pipe end and seal. What I am more concerned about is removing the old section any tips how to remove it without disturbing the seal bearing in mind how long it has been connected?

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

use a strap wrench to 'free' the old pipe and get one or two types of pan connector ready, you can always return unused ones ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I found when doing jobs on the toilet either, flushing or fill mechanisms or waste, it's always better to replace the lot after its been fitted a lengthy number of years.

In my 1908 house it was a matter of removing old piping and shoving down a fitment with a multiple rubber (soft plastic?) seal down the hole.

In your case I expect that this seal (or equivalent) will come out no matter how careful you are. You will probably find it unpleasant to handle* and when trying to reinsert it (or a pipe into it) the flexibility of the seal(s) has vanished over time.

*Put a plastic bin bag on the floor and have a bucket handy :)
Reply to
alan_m

If it won't twist out (which it probably won't) then I would cut-off most of the pipe, cut lengthways as far as possible down the remainder (perhaps using a hacksaw blade or a recip saw (gently!) on the inside at the top), and then break it away.

Reply to
nothanks

I just re-read your question ... if you need the horizontal section to be longer then why not just extend the existing (saw some off if that is helpful) and leave the bit that goes into the stack untouched?

Reply to
nothanks

I have considered cutting and splicing but it is awkward and there is not much room to manipulate a saw but I will know better when the pan is out of the way. I will leave my options open.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

If there is better access to the stack itself, another alternative is to cut out above and below the tee and use slip-couplers to allow you to replace the cut-out pipe and the tee.

Reply to
SteveW

remember the four brass screws and the multikwik

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

OK so stage 1 went well, maybe a little too well as soon as I moved the WC pan away the pipe into the stack moved and came away easily. I am cutting the new pipe to length and will join up the pan and stack where the seal seems quite intact. Although the pipes parted easily there is no sign of leakage so hope that remains the case when re-assembled, if not a judicious application of silicone sealant should do the trick

Reply to
Tricky Dicky