How to Remove Drip Pan on MZD2766GEW Maytag Wide-By-Side Refrigerator

Does anyone know how to get to/remove the drip pan on the MZD2766GEW Maytag Wide-By-Side refrigerator? I cannot seem to get to it easily. It seems like in order to get to it from the front, I have to remove the "grill," and it seems the only way to remove the grill is to unscrew the doors, which appear to be attached the the grill. In order to get to it from the back, there is some big "tank" in the way. it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to remove the drip pan.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin G.

I do not know about your particular unit, but the grills nearly always come off fairly easily if you can figure out the latch method. If you do not get a specific answer, take a flashlight and small mirror and inspect the grill carefully. Some of them push straight downward to disengage a latch at the top, and some pull straight out at the top. Some disengage at the bottom first. Generally the top or bottom unsnaps first, then the other edge is just unhooked. Just don't try to force it, it is usually fairly easy. I do not think it would ever require unscrewing the doors.

Don Young

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Don,

Thank you for your reply. I used a mirror as you suggested and it appears that the grill is screwed in! There is one screw that is holding the grill in and it is sitting vertically behind the grill, and is screwed into the bottom of one of the doors. It is virtually impossible to unscrew the screw unless the refrigerator is jacked up high enough.

Is it possible that the grill should not ever have to be removed? That doesn't quite make sense though.

In case you're wondering, the reason why I need to access the drip pan is because I have defrosted my unit and it appears to be overflowing the drip pan. The reason I'm defrosting the unit is because the freezer's coils have begun to frost up, which has contributed to a freezer and refrigerator which are not very cold anymore. About a week ago, I used a hairdryer to melt some of the frost on the coils. It seemed to fix the problem as the unit was running smoothly for a few days. But, just a couple of days ago, I noticed that the back wall in the freezer was beginning to collect frost again, and the ice cubes in the ice maker were somewhat "liquidy," so I knew something was wrong once again.

Having read many posts about other people in this situation, it appears that replacing the ADC (adaptive defrost control/assembly) might fix the problem. Would you agree?

Thanks, Kev how to get to/remove the drip pan on the MZD2766GEW

Reply to
Kevin G.

I don't quite understand how the door can open if the grill is screwed to it. If you need to remove a screw that has limited clearance you probably need a right-angle screwdriver. They are available at most places that sell tools.

Defrost failure can have several causes. The heating element can be open, there are temperature sensors that might be bad, or the controller might be bad. A clogged drain will also cause problems by re-freezing the defrost water. It would probably be advisable for you to hire a professional to trouble-shoot it rather than replacing parts. I would expect that replacing the controller "might" fix the problem but even if the controller is the "most-likely" cause, that only means more than 50%. If it is fairly inexpensive you might try it, but be prepared for further action if it does not fix it.

D>> know how to get to/remove the drip pan on the MZD2766GEW

Reply to
Don Young

Don,

Thanks again for your reply. The grill is screwed into each door's hinge bracket (see item/location #5 at

on each side of the side-by-side refigerator. This does not affect the movement of the doors themselves.

I ordered the ADC yesterday and will hopefully receive it soon. I know you mentioned that this "might" fix the problem; let's hope that you're (and I'm) right! :)

Thanks aga>

Reply to
Kevin G.