Most absurd lie on a product

1200W cordless vacuum cleaner? Running off what looks like 2 18650 Li Ion batteries. So since those are about 4V each, that's 150 amps from one battery. I'm not so sure that's going to work....
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It'll be 120W. Put your glasses on.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

And this, Germany openly selling an 1800W vacuum!

What happened to the 800W EU limit? Or are the morons so stupid as to think nobody would conceivably use an "industrial" vacuum cleaner in their home? I wonder if they send people round to inspect which type you're operating?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The eBay listing says 1200W in more than one place. I can't see anywhere that quotes 120W.

All nonsense of course.

Reply to
Fredxx

was hoping to laugh/take the piss at CK, but he is right that's what the advert says. "Wet & Dry Vacuum Cleaner Car Cordless Handheld Rechargeable Home Portable 1200W"

Reply to
whisky-dave

That is how the law works. Create a law with loopholes and the loopholes are exploited.

The same happened with incandescent bulbs, the law allowed you to purchase rugged bulbs. You still can. An LED won't last long as your oven light.

Reply to
Fredxx

That 1200 watts must be calculated like some computer speakers. They were rated around 100 watts. Powered by a 12 volt 1 amp wall cube and inside the speakers were marked 8 ohms 2 watts.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

when it looks that ugly

yes

Reply to
tim...

krauts simply cant do a 'Henry'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why are lawmakers so thick?

Be a bit of a nuisance lighting your room with oven bulbs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Indeed. I have (had, they gave up fairly quick) some Li Ion batteries quoting a mAh 2.5x higher than Sony or Panasonic have ever achieved. They actually contained an eighth of what they claimed. They know they're lying, since if you ask them why they don't last as long as they should, you get a very fast 100% refund with no need to prove or return the "faulty" ones.

I also bought a 2.5" USB hard disk, claiming to be a brand new 1TB drive. SMART data gave me the make and model of the disk inside, showing it was an 8 year old drive which had had many hours of service, and had lots of faults. I opened it and confirmed, they'd even left the label on it! The electronics in the USB to SATA adapter inside it had been fiddled to ignore the bad sectors and claim a higher capacity than it really was. When I complained, they sent me another one the same! Their Ebay account is no longer functional.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A vacuum is a tool, not an ornament. You put it in the cupboard when you've finished, you don't have to look at it all day.

And actually I prefer the industrial look. I like the Gumpert car for example.

And you can get those stupidly small capacity Henrys over the 800W "limit".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The most absurd lie I've seen so far is the "safe and effective" claim being applied to experimental vaccines that have only been in the field for several months and in the U.S. have not even earned FDA approval.

It takes years to determine long-term side effects. Those stating the Covid-19 vaccines are "safe" are liars, by definition.

Reply to
Roger Blake

They are not industrial. This is:

rbowman

That is probably the instantaneous power, lasting 5 secs. My little power pack will start a car engine.

Reply to
jon

well its unlikely we know the long term side effects of *not* taking them...or the long term side effects of all the viruses we caught as children.

They are safe in the sense that anything is safe. If you expect absolutes, try religion

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll/have risked it, the alternative risk doesn't bare thinking about.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Hmm, if it was true Tesla would be on your doorstep offering to buy your technology by now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

How long for though? I remember a friend getting a hand held Dysan, which said 20 minutes , long enough for a clean, well she never got above ten, maybe she just had thicker dust? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

This discussion reminded me of a model aircraft when I was young which claimed the most amazing development in propulsion and battery technology which could keep the plane airborne for 20 minutes, just add water. So it basically had what looked like two Tea bag sized batteries with wires at the top corners. the plane was made of flimsy polystyrene foam and the motored seemed to be some kind of brushless design with a big slow propeller on the front. You put your water in shook them and then launched it, Note you needed to do this on a totally still day or it would just blow away. It would mostly beetle about for maybe five minutes using the batteries then the propeller stopped and it glided to the ground.

Each time you used the batteries it went for less time.

Still it was the 1960s, and I guess the thought was there.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa