More on light bulbs ...

Rather than have the whole room gloomy we use the traditional method of having small lights where only a little light is needed such as bedside lights, thus avoiding the need to get out of bed and struggle across to the light switch by the door, in the dark, stubbing toes en-route.

Remember also that using full size CFL's in glimmering mode is quite wasteful of energy and materials.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

(A golf ball lamp)Not a serious contender when it comes to lighting a whole room.

How do you know ? Dimensions and light output not consistent.

That's odd, that (pdf) data sheet hasn't changed since 30/10/2005

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I've heard that said. But in the one instance it goes up the smokestack at Drax 25 miles away and 850 feet high to be carried away by the stratosphere, and in the other the mercury is in a glass envelope above the worktops on my kitchen ceiling.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

IMHO it's more to do with Mr Philip getting his Gloeilampen Fabriek closed so he can make more money selling CFL's from China.

Ditto Tungsram

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

So not taking foreign holidays includes Bangkok then ...

Reply to
geoff

No lamp can be described as efficient if the light it produces is not fit for the purpose for which it is required. A lamp which produces a dozen or so practically monochromatic spectral lines is useless for many purposes involving fine work or colour matching, even if the spectra can be chosen so that the eye, using tri-stimulus colourimetry, percieves the light to be the same colour as daylight. Suite materials, yarns and dyes etc are never matched with fluorescent light, and for that matter neither is cloth "invisibly" mended.

It's not what we need, natural daylight is not like that.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Not entirely true, fluro is used in colour critical applications, can get better than 90 CRI with linear tubes. But at a very cool colour which really dosen`t suit living spaces.

Everyone know involved with lighting , whatever they sell for a day job, use halogen at home....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

0.3% Calculations on over all windspeed in the whole county show there are days when all windmills are essentially becalmed, with just a few at one end or the other idly turning. Turbine output below the design plateau speedspeed is proportional to windspeed cubed.

The Dames, who have more peak windpower capacity than their actual grid total load, see at best about 6% average contribution of windpower. Some years 8%, some years 4%.

Half the time they are switched off, because no one wanst the power.

The other half they aren't producing near enough.

Its a complete farce.

Plenty of it around for current needs anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But there is nothing like a Dame!

Reply to
Windmill

I did have a brief google to see whether they attempted to scrub some of it from the flue gasses, but couldn't see much evidence they do, or even whether it's in the form of mercury vapour, or if the furnace turns it into various compounds ... methylmercury did get the occasional mention as a worry.

If they *did* recover it, what commercial uses does it have now it's banned in thermometers and barometers (presumably tilt switches too), apart from making CFLs?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just taking up the colour spectrum issue. Going back to the P.O.S. CFL that I bought to fit in my new hallway lampshade that started all this. Up until last night, despite the fact that it splutters to life - that really is the best description - and the light output that it gives is nothing like adequate for about the first minute, I had left it in place, but switched on most of the time so that I didn't have to wait for it to start pretending to be a light bulb. So there's the 5 minutes at 60 watts versus 5 hours at 11 watts argument, neatly encapsulated in unthinking reality, immediately ...

But last night, I finally gave up on it for another reason entirely. Our hallway has a dado rail about half way up. Above it, we painted the walls in a colour called calico. It's a sort of pale but rich creamy tone. Below the dado, we have put wallpaper. The background is an almost identical colour to the paint. The pattern is leaves, with a very subtle textured gold finish. Hard to describe and not sound tacky, but the missus has a designer's eye for this stuff, and it really does look lovely. Then, one of our daughters came round last night, for the first time since we did it, and immediately declared that she didn't like the colours. We asked her what she meant, and she said that she didn't like the green of the leaf pattern, and she would have thought that we could have found a paint that matched the background colour of the wallpaper a bit better than the one we had got. And you know what ? Under that light, she was absolutely right.

I immediately removed the CFL, and committed it to the junk box, where it can languish until I decide to use it for lighting the loft, or to chuck it. I took a standard 60 watt incandescent bulb from another little-used fitting, and put that in the hallway instead. "Ah", said the daughter, "that's better" ! And you know what else ? It was ... Much better ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

So, you tried to do some painting under the light of a CFL and you were confused by the result ... ?

Whenever I'm doing any decorating I fit some f-off big incandescent's in a couple of places and take the shades off and make very sure I have /plenty/ of light to work by (or better still, real daylight).

But then I take them out and am happy with CFL's (including life span, brightness, start-up-time, energy consumption, price and running temperature) for the rest of the time.

Oh, and if our daughter didn't like the colour of the decor ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think you've misunderstood the thrust of what Arfa was saying.

You seem to think the problem was that he painted *by* the light of a CFL and consequently got the thickness not quite right or uniform.

I don't think that's the case. They probably did the painting itself by daylight, and the finished job looks great in daylight, and since they know it's OK, they don't particularly notice that at night, by CFL illumination, the colour balances look a bit odd. But the daughter, seeing it for the first time in the evening by CFL illumination, spotted the apparently poor colour balance immediately, and it was corrected by deploying a "proper" lightbulb.

Basically all he's saying is that CFLs have (or at least *his* CFL has) such a bad colour spectrum that it messes about with our perception of colours.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Its used in all sorts of things in very small amounts: what they are I cant recall hough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not unknown. ;-)

Ok.

Ok.

And you could well be right as I can't think of the last time I actually considered / compared 'colours' of things and not sure I would do so under any form of artificial light (other than stuff designed for the purpose etc) in any case?

Also, any woman, with their excess of colour receptors (or whatever it is that makes them see more colours than us guys) not liking the colour of something can find / action a solution for themselves. ;-)

(And why I blatantly refuse to answer any of the 'Do these shoes go with this top' type questions, ever).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Women don't actually see more colours than men. They just attach more significance to them.

The usual non-commital reply in such situations is "Yes, dear.".

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Where did I ever say that ... ? It is you who seems confused, my friend ...

It was done in daylight, and until we bought the new shade, there was a naked 100 watt pearl light bulb in a hanging pendant fitting. Prior to that, we had a 60 watt clear in the previous lampshade, which was not going to suit the new one we bought, because it would be totally visible, and would look really pony in a clear type. The new shade was rated max 60 watts, so I either needed a 60 watt pearl diffused bulb, which nowhere sells any more, or a P.O.S. CFL pretend pearl light bulb, a spiral or other tube-knot type again not being decoratively valid for the type of new shade.

Lucky you. I hope you never pick any colours that the CFLs don't have spectrum content for then.

But her not liking the colour of the decor was not the point, and was actually a valid observation, because the colours were not the same - not even matched - as they were under daylight or tungsten light. Under the dreadful CFL light, the colours were drab, muted, and decidedly sickly green. Actually not nice, or as intended. Under proper light, she had no problem with our choice of colours or the matching of them.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Prezackerly understood and restated, thank you ! :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

So it seems. ;-(

OK, well I don't really 'get' some of this looks stuff but I understand for many it's an issue.

I know, now, however ...

I know this is a bit off track but how do you cope with the colour of your car by streetlight, or the wallpaper when lit by the moonlight etc? I guess what I'm saying is ... no, it doesn't matter, I just don't get it. ;-)

I need a light in the room, CFL's provide low cost, low energy, low heat (so I can just lay one on a shelf for example) light and that's all I need them to do. Many have also saved me money and I understand may help to offset the peak energy demands of the country.

To help you understand my POV a little. A friend suggested 'I did something with the bonnet of my car' (because the PO had some work done on it and the lacquer seems to have reacted with the paint and is all peeling off). I asked him that should I spend /any/ time or money doing said work, would it make the car faster, more economical, more valuable or reduce the cost of my TAX or insurance and that if the answer to any of that was 'no' then he was welcome to fix it himself. ;-)

Luckily we are all different. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Some do, AFAIK no men have the extra receptors that some women have.

Reply to
dennis