Moisture barriers and Wifi

Provided the ceiling plasterboards aren't foil backed, in the loft central ish over the building outline is less obtrusive.

I bet that most peoples trouble with WiFi coverage is down to poor placement, RF wise, of the AP. Mainly beacuse of the "one box" modem/router/switch/AP solution. It gets plonked within 6' of a phone socket and shoved somewhere out of the way so ends up in far flung corner of the house and partly buried under other stuff.

Even better if you have it on a different channel, so both APs can talk at the same time. Why do you have a different SSID? To get coverage here I've two APS, on different channels but same SSID, devices seamlessly switch between them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My homeplugs are brand new 500Mpbs and that is *exactly* how they behave.

I can load a file at 50MByte/s plus. I can sve a file at 50 MBytes/s plus

But if I am loading one, then saving*, then loading them saving..> It works but its no substitute for CAT 5

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've not had that problem on powerline. Just on brodcomm crappy wifi drivers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1, also I would add that finding a nice make of connector makes life much easier as well. That "Excel" brand I linked to above is very nice to wire since you can push the wire into the outer part of the terminal by hand[1] easily enough, and it grips it firmly. That lets you get all 8 wires in the right place first, and then munch them all down at the same time, rather than individually. [1] Strip 40mm or so of outer when you start and there is enough wire to get a proper grip on! The punchdown tool will trip to length.

Yup there are two common wiring patterns for these things TIA-568A and

568B - it does not matter which you use, but you must use the same at both ends. The B variant now seems far more common, and many of the connectors are now only marked with the B colour code which actually makes life easier since you don't need to stop and think each time which you want!

In this day and age it makes sense to stick it all over the place - assume each TV, blueray player, AV Amp, games console etc will want ethernet - so having sockets handy makes like easier.

Its much the same, just a bit harder to work (due to using Screened Twisted Pair rather than UTP), and you need to make sure you use CAT6 qualified modules etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

'kin heavy I bet... and plastering over the headstock is always a pain ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Munch? Some of us daren't risk our teeth on that! Unlike in our younger days when naturally we'd bite through the T&E, nibble the heads off the nails in the horseshoes, ...

Reply to
Robin

I was waiting for that...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed.

I think I would typically do them in pairs but as you say, if it held all 4 pairs, then 'a cable' at a time would be more efficient.

Check.

I generally check both ends before I start as I have had it with one end marked in one and the other marked in both. ;-(

Agreed. I 'flood wired' this place with Cat3 many years ago now and still using much of it.

Thanks for that.

I have used (Cat5e) STP at a power station but from memory it was only the cable itself that was screened, not the individual cable pairs? This requited an appropriate STP patch panel and the use of STP patch cords and switches etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Probably more like 'Broadcom drivers on Linux ...'.

I went though a phase of replacing any WiFi card that Linux didn't like OOTB with one it did because it was such a PITA getting Linux to worth with stuff. Linux seemed to like Intel cards so they were what I often used (in laptops etc).

I bought 3 'identical' Netbooks at the same time and set them all to dual boot Linux with XP. Two worked on Linux fine and one didn't. The one that didn't happened to come with a different brand of WiFi card. All 3 were happy under XP of course.

I had to risk the guarantee to change the one Linux wasn't happy with but it was worth the risk, just to make the Netbook more 'Linux compatible'.

Tail wagging the dog though ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Let alone the very few channels that are there to be shared:(..

Reply to
tony sayer