Moisture barriers and Wifi

My 1920s house is L-shaped and because of its geometry the Wifi signal has to go outside and then back in to get to my study where all my computers and cool stuff are.
The signal is effectively non-existent in the study so I used an old router to extend the signal. Still no joy unless I put the extender in the study.
I'm forming the opinion that a metal foil moisture barrier is blocking the signal though I have no evidence that there is one. The rest of the house is fine.
Is this likely? Any suggestions?
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

A mate built a study in the back half of the garage / kitchen using foil backed plasterboard and it acted like a Faraday cage. With an AP in the room there was nearly no signal detected outside of it.

Yes. ;-(

Use a Poweline adaptor to put a hotspot in your study or carry on with the router acting as a hotspot etc?
Cheers, T i m
On 22/01/18 16:22, T i m wrote:

Basically that's what I've done. I've attached the old router to a powerline adapter and use it as an access point.
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Powerline ethernet sucks syphilitic donkey dick.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 22nd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

But they wrok - a fixed router is fine for a fixed computer, but family arrive with iPads and the like - they need wireless.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Well, at least 50% of the time, anyway.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 22nd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 22/01/18 16:32, Huge wrote:

Well it works but its only half duplex. And its shared. It's like going back to 10base T coax. Only one person can use it in one direction at a a time.
It works but its no substitute for CAT 5
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

That was true back in the early naughties with the original CSMA/CD 14 Mbps PHY implementation. Not so for the current stuff - especially HomePlug AV2 that has MIMO and can get real world throughput at over 500 Mbps

It may not be as good as CAT5 - but its clearly a substitute in many circumstances where you don't have CAT5 ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

The issue, AFAIAC, is that having been bitten twice by Powerline crap, I'm reluctant to try any more. The issue isn't the throughput (I'm getting better throughput from it than the broadband), but that it goes away altogether every few minutes.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 23rd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 23/01/18 10:52, Huge wrote:

I've not had that problem on powerline. Just on brodcomm crappy wifi drivers.
--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Probably more like 'Broadcom drivers on Linux ...'.
I went though a phase of replacing any WiFi card that Linux didn't like OOTB with one it did because it was such a PITA getting Linux to worth with stuff. Linux seemed to like Intel cards so they were what I often used (in laptops etc).
I bought 3 'identical' Netbooks at the same time and set them all to dual boot Linux with XP. Two worked on Linux fine and one didn't. The one that didn't happened to come with a different brand of WiFi card. All 3 were happy under XP of course.
I had to risk the guarantee to change the one Linux wasn't happy with but it was worth the risk, just to make the Netbook more 'Linux compatible'.
Tail wagging the dog though ... ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On 23/01/18 10:50, John Rumm wrote:

My homeplugs are brand new 500Mpbs and that is *exactly* how they behave.
I can load a file at 50MByte/s plus. I can sve a file at 50 MBytes/s plus
But if I am loading one, then saving*, then loading them saving..<1Mbytes/second.
I could probably tune TCP/IP to improve that, but why should I have to?
*essentially running handrakke on a file on the server to create another file on yhet server.

--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”
On 16:32 22 Jan 2018, Huge wrote:

That's seems like a remarkably fair assessment judging by my own experience with Netgear repeaters to feed Internet into my smart telly.
However isn't a Powerline-connected wifi repeater going to be better than a wireless wifi repeater?
I'm interested in this because my mum's room in a care home can't get their wifi signal, which means we can't help her Skype to other people. Despite paying gazillions of pounds per hour in care home fees, I think we may have to provide the equipment to get the wifi signal to her room.
I'm not sure what's the best approach.

Yep. I have to run continuous pings to the router to keep mine alive. Otherwise every few minutes the link goes away. The lights flash, it looks *just* there's data flowing, but there isn't.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 22nd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 22/01/18 19:42, Huge wrote:

Oh, My tplinks always get data through...its just that sometimes I am lucky to get 3Mbps.
Not because they arent connecting at decent speed, but simply because when heavy traffic is going one way, ACKs aren't coming back the other way..
--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Can't you put openWRT/LEDE on a TP-link and use CoDel?
On 22/01/18 20:02, Andy Burns wrote:

You cant put anything on a powerline aqdapter. They have no accessible software
On 19:42 22 Jan 2018, Huge wrote:

I got intermittent transmission failures between the Powerline adaptors and end up rebooting everything in sight. That's without mentioning their radio interference. Or restricted throughput if I used a mains extension.
A new router solved all this for me ... but I can't really offer to get a new router for my mum's care home as they will worry that a new router may cause problems on their whole wifi network.
On 22/01/2018 18:35, pamela wrote:

Usually yes. It also does not halve the throughput of the wifi as the budget single radio wifi repeaters do.

It might work - although depending on the wiring configuration you could have difficulties (say if the building has 3 phase).

Something like:
https://www.ebuyer.com/759306-tp-link-tl-wpa4220kit-v1-20-300mbps-av600-wi-fi-powerline-extender-kit-tl-wpa4220kit-v1-20
Can work well in applications like that - it gives you both wired and wireless at the remote end. Pretty quick and easy to setup.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:32:01 +0000, Huge wrote:

+1