L-shaped bracket?

Anyone know where I could get an L-shaped (preferably steel) bracket? It's to support one end of a trellis. The trellis sits on top a wall. The bracket needs to be about 150mm x 800mm, and about 30mm wide. I would be fixing the 150mm bit into the top of the wall with something fairly hefty to take the leverage when the wind blows. I can't use a long straight bar running down the wall because the wall has an oversailing course at the top. The other end of the trellis is nicely fixed to a sturdy fence post.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

In message , Martin Pentreath wrote

Try Screwfix for some ideas

Search for builders metalwork

Reply to
Alan

Why steel? Without entirely understanding your geometry, might it not be simpler to fabricate something in wood? Use multi monti bolts or coachbolts into big rawlplugs, or rawlbolts to fix the timber to the wall. What loads is it taking? You can get galvanised strap about 25 x 4 mm from builders' merchants which is typically used to locate wallplates for roofing timbers on the top of a wall.

Reply to
Newshound

Have a look in Wickes, they have a good selection of HD metal brackets.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the replies. Will have a look in Wickes, if not there then some of the Screwfix brackets might work. The load it needs to take is, I would guess, potentially quite high. It's to support one end of a 6' x 4' bit of trellis sitting on top of a brick wall. Once it's covered in jasmine and a bit of a wind gets up I would guess the forces involves are pretty big

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

PS Here's an ASCII picture of what's going on (fixed font required):

| | | | | | _____ | | | |

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Try this

TMC

Could you not fabricate a wooden post in sections to go around the oversailing course? Or cut a rebate in a solid post? Much stronger than a bracket.

| | |

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Having seen that, go and find your local metal bashing/welding company and ask them to make a joggled bracket with a section welded to it to make it a tee section vertical that gives lateral strength that can be bolted to the side of the wall. The joggle will follow the path of the wall, till the 'oversailing' (the joggled part) and then continue to follow the wall up to it's top. Get them to plate it to prevent rust and it should last your life out.

Cross section of the tee section looking from above, I hope this works

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Use a steel joist hanger?