Heavy-duty leg levelers for shop use

(Repost - Link corrected)

I needed some leg levelers for radial arm saw wings - and being a true pinchpenny type, built my own. When I was done, I decided I liked 'em well enough to share the idea here.

I don't know that they're particularly pretty; but they do seem to work well. I posted photos at

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Looks neater than what I usually do. Whether outfeed fence, or similar application, I make fast L shaped legs, and make double blocks for the bottom ends, with an overlap covering the ends of the Ls. I then drill those and insert a T insert at the top, and assemble the blocks to the legs using glue. A hex head bolt or a carriage bolt, depending on what's on hand, with a nut threaded onto the shaft, and a washer between the nut and block, finishes the job. Easy to adjust, lock nicely in place, and sturdy.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Very nice!

I usually jam a tee nut into the end of the leg, but while the tools are out, I could crank out a bunch of your versions.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I think these will work quite well. One question I would have is, with the head of the carriage bolt on the floor, does it move easily. I made a similar setup for my tablesay extension. If bumped it, it would easily slide out of place. So I ended up putting the carpet saver pads under the bolt head to keep it from sliding around. Just a thought.

Reply to
David Lankford

I also built some. I was too cheap to buy them. I took a metal freeze plug from an old car engine and welded a threaded stud to the outside of the cup. I then used and expanding rubber one for inside the cup which was the part in contact with the floor. So I had a nice cushy and very strong foot that looked good. max

Reply to
max

These /will/ move - but they'll take the RAS with 'em. The wings are bolted solidly to the RAS, which is on a mobile base so I can vacuum the area where it sits with no hassle. I like that I can unlock the base's casters and move the whole works as a unit for cleaning.

If I didn't want it to move I think I could put rubber feet on the RAS base, then use socket head screws (instead of the carriage bolts) with slip-on rubber or plastic tips.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Here's a version I plan to make using hockey pucks (about $1/ea).

'll probably use a T-nut instead of the coupler. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

on 2/16/2005 9:58 AM max said the following:

Hmmmm, Might not hurt to make the acquaintance of an appliance dealer or two. Seems that the screw-type leveling feet from refrigerators, washers, dryers, stoves might be just the ticket. Rubber-faced and 1

3/4" to 2 1/4" diameter ought to work just fine.

Hell, occasionally our local wrecking yard will have a load of appliances in to be crushed along with the car wrecks.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I am certain that a web search will probably produce some supplier who sell this type of leveler.

But that would spoil the "found treasure" thrill. :)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

on 2/16/2005 12:17 PM Lee Michaels said the following:

Probably can find all you need by scoping out any Kenmore product and the going to the parts page at

and spending $18 each for them. You're right, it definitely would spoil the "found treasure" aspect of this.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Levelers look fantastic - but never mind them. Look at all that room you have - WOW. In one of the pics, your shop looks to be located in an aircraft-hanger sized space - very nice, I am jealous. :-)

Reply to
larrygfox

Thanks for the kind words - and it /is/ an aircraft hanger. If you look closely at the right-hand wing on the RAS, that skinny black object is a propeller blade that I'm about to copy with the CNC router.

And if you look *really* closely, you'll notice that there's no [air]plane in the hanger. )-8

Reply to
Morris Dovey