Securing a bolt

I'm planning on fixing a metal frame to the floor of my van using nuts/bolts. Is there a way to secure the bolt on the difficult to access side (underneath the van) so it doesn't turn when fixing/unfixing that doesn't involve welding?

Reply to
RJH

Would rivnuts be heavy-duty enough?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hank bush (rivnut, rivet nuts, nutserts)?

You can buy them individually on Ebay

DIY fixing (watch both)

?v=FJ4gF2tXRBE

Reply to
alan_m

This morning I had a similar problem- securing a bracket to one of those metal lintels full of holes about 6 mm in dia. I had a rumage in my fixings box - looking for some hollow fixings I was sure I had- no joy. I then found a threaded L shaped rod, just the right diameter. I enlarged one of the holes in the lintel slightly, hooked the unthreaded part of the L into it, the bracket went over the thread part, followed by a washer and nut. I used a bit of steel through another, existing, hole to stop the L in the lintel turning as I tightened the nut.

For the job, one fixing was enough.

If your van floor is ribbed, fix on the top of the ribs and the L on the underside will be trapped in the rib. If you can?t find suitable threaded L s (mine was part of something I?d salvaged), bend some studding.

Reply to
Brian

Could you use stainless steel pop rivets instead? You might have to use more.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Car body filler over the head

Reply to
Jock

Rivnuts look to be the thing - not heard of them before - thanks very much everyone.

The frame needs to be reasonably secure, if for no other reason it weighs 30kg so I don't want it flying around the cabin in an accident, and they look up to the job.

Reply to
RJH

Ah, ingenious! Rivnuts should be fine, and I don't want to overdo drilling through the floor - but one to remember.

Reply to
RJH

That'd mean buying a gun, and I'm not fancying drilling too many holes through what looks like 6mm steel. I'd imagine it'd be quite tricky to remove too - I will rarely want to take it out if using the van as a van.

Reply to
RJH

rivnuts require a tool to "set" them too

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not necessarily, the videos links I posted in the thread show how to make your own with a nut. bolt and a small length of steel with a hole in it - the steel could be a modified angle bracket/ corner brace etc.

alan_m

Don't forget to grease up your fixing bolts to prevent corrosion if the ends are now exposed under the van.

Reply to
alan_m

That's a tool in my book :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Note that they are available in both steel and aluminium. Steel is best for your application both for strength and avoiding galvanic corrosion.

Reply to
newshound

If it is really 6mm steel then why not just drill and tap? Rivnuts are quick and easy though once you get the knack. I'd avoid budget tools like the Silverline

Also, you can get them with both open and blind ends.

Reply to
newshound

I'd agree with that, it's fairly weak.

Reply to
Andy Burns

[like many silverline tools]
Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm surprised that the floor of a van would be anything like that thick. Is this ex-military?

Reply to
GB

No - wheelchair adapted floor, a sort of ramp/tray welded into the floor, with a '300kg' sticker on it. I've come across some 6mm plating elsewhere so it wouldn't surprise me - bit OTT if it is, though, agreed. I've bought some cobalt bits that seem up to the job - we'll see ;-)

Reply to
RJH

Yes, thanks - although I was also thinking of using some stainless steel bolts too I have anyway. But I have in the back of my mind that they're not suitable for this sort of application?

Reply to
RJH