Replacing doors in 1920s house

Hi, Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies....... cheers john

Reply to
John Cee

We have a local dedicated door shop, I suggest you find your local one.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Straightening warped doors isnt impossible. If youre not in a hurry it might be worth a go, costs nothing but a little time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I feel your pain, in our 30's semi most of the doors have been replaced and not one of them matches.

These might help maybe ?

that try

Séan Connolly

| Hi, | Just in the process of doing up our 1920s semi. The house has nice | pitch-pine panelled interior doors, but unfortunately the previous | owner had them dipped and stripped and they are warped to the extent | that most of them won't close properly. Could anyone give me any tips | on a good source of replacements in a similar style? Would rather not | replace them with generic Wickes/B&Q type stuff, but there again don't | want to take out a 2nd mortgage for custom made jobbies....... | cheers

A local joiner made us a door, to my design, competitive with the sheds

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

Can you move the door stops? You can lose about 3/4" without it being too apparent.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Probably a good bet. The Yellow Pages could be useful.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Are they like this?

seem to cost £94 for a one off but presumably some discount for several.

There are some at my local saw mill which are the same basic form but made with that red coloured close grained pine, Douglus Fir or Canadian Redwood looking. With visable tennons, a very attractive door. I'm not sure wheather they are the same as in the above picture because I thought they were made by JBKind and are on sale for £129.

Reply to
marble

This place has a huge range, including reclaimed too:

about 4 miles off the London end of the M40.

Reply to
David P

When we wanted matching doors in our house when we had an extension built we went down the bespoke route - about 100 GBP per door IIRC.

(Presumably you've had a shufti down at the local salvage yards?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hope the doors work better than the website

Reply to
DJC