Resquare doors after house settled

I have recently purchased a house and due to some slight settling on the foundation...

My front door and a couple interior doors are no longer square.

The Front door has distanced itself from the vertical side opposite the hinges, with the top being flush and the bottom having at least a 1/2 gap. A couple interior doors have done the same, making them difficult to close.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide, or any resources I could reference.

Jason

Reply to
jawhaley

Jason,

Here is an easy fix that works most of the time.

For your front door with the gap at the bottom:

  1. Remove the hinge screws from the jamb side of the bottom hinge.

  1. Take a piece of cardboard from a cereal box or the back of a note pad and cut it to fit in the recess the hinge fits in on the jamb. It does not need to fit perfectly. If the hinge is a 4" hinge you may cut a piece of cardboard 1" X 3 1/2" or close to that.

  2. Place the cardboard between the hinge and the jamb and replace the screws.

  1. Test the door and see if it is better. You may have two add another piece of cardboard.

I never add more than two layers of cardboard.

I have used this method in my own home and it has proved to be a long term fix.

Good luck,

cm

Reply to
cm

What does the gap look like along the top of the door, and along the bottom?

If it's a "square" issue, you should have a 1/4" gap at the top on the non-hinge side. Also, the bottom non-hinge corner should be scraping the frame, or nearly so.

Reply to
Ether Jones

The top of the door goes from 1/8 of an inch on the hinge side to about

3/16, but I'm unsure about the bottom because the base board has been adjusted to meet the door. I noticed after looking at it more closely that there is a gap on the top hinge side and the door is flush at the bottom hinge side. The Door is also flush on the top no hinge side, and a gap at the bottom hinge side. This doesn't appear to be a square issure according to your last comment. Is my door hung incorrectly? Or what is the alternative, Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
jawhaley