Moisture barriers and Wifi

Well, at least 50% of the time, anyway.

Reply to
Huge

Yep. I have to run continuous pings to the router to keep mine alive. Otherwise every few minutes the link goes away. The lights flash, it looks *just* there's data flowing, but there isn't.

Reply to
Huge

Oh, My tplinks always get data through...its just that sometimes I am lucky to get 3Mbps.

Not because they arent connecting at decent speed, but simply because when heavy traffic is going one way, ACKs aren't coming back the other way..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't you put openWRT/LEDE on a TP-link and use CoDel?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I got intermittent transmission failures between the Powerline adaptors and end up rebooting everything in sight. That's without mentioning their radio interference. Or restricted throughput if I used a mains extension.

A new router solved all this for me ... but I can't really offer to get a new router for my mum's care home as they will worry that a new router may cause problems on their whole wifi network.

Reply to
pamela

OK I'll shout for help nearer occupation time.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , T i m writes

Unlikely. Can you loop or does each circuit need to be a single radial feed?

The Devolo mains set up here works all the current users but I don't know how fast.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm.. The current set up is a desk top hard wired to the router, a lap top running on wifi line of sight to the router and anything else on two Devolos pushing out wifi for visiting i pads and phones.

I am expecting wifi issues with the cottage although the walls should be transparent.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , T i m writes

My hero!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Radial. *Typically / ideally* you would have all yer comms arranged in some central / common location ... a sub section of the cupboard under the stairs, a corner of the study and into a multi-port patch panel. From there you would run a patch cable from whatever kit was appropriate (say Ethernet ports of your switch or router) out to all the places you need such. There is nothing stopping you running a service *in* via the same cable system, say from a cable / ADSL modem near the front door.

Probably faster than your external broadband service so unless you are running a media server or moving big files about internally, it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

Maybe it depends on the make / model / installation?

I supplied the in-laws a TP-Link set to run Ethernet from a NowTV box to the router (better than WiFi), run a WiFi hotspot at the diagonally opposite end of the house to the router (works fine) and to a PC in the back of the house, again using Ethernet and that too works fast and reliably?

They weren't about to start running cables round the place and didn't need to?

Another site uses a pair with a remote WiFi adaptor to take the WiFi signal from the router and locate it somewhere more useful.

A third, a motorcycle shop runs Ethernet out from the main office to the MOT bay and they *rely* on that for all MOTs. *It just works*?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Our house used to be rendered with lathes. Sometime in the last 100 years a lot of the laths have been replaced by expanded metal mesh. That's a pretty good Faraday cage too...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

So your study is at the end of one leg of the L and the WiFi AP at the end of the other leg? Try moving the AP to the outer corner of where the two legs meet, so the signal can pass down both legs.

If at all possible cable it, in fact cable everything if at all possible. I'd not use a Powerline device, they chuck out far too much wideband RF noise. A WiFi extender instantly halves the though put. Main AP transmits a packet, then has to remain silent whilst the extender re-transmits that packet. Note: This is throughput, the WiFi devices may well still report 300 Mbps(*) (or WHY) connections.

(*) "300 Mbps", the total raw bit rate, ie 150 Mbps up 150 Mbps down, then take away the overheads...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A separate WiFi access point, with an ethernet connection (upstairs ceiling mounted with POE is quite labour saving) and its own SSID overcomes most of the disadvantages of an extender.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You cant put anything on a powerline aqdapter. They have no accessible software

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was true back in the early naughties with the original CSMA/CD 14 Mbps PHY implementation. Not so for the current stuff - especially HomePlug AV2 that has MIMO and can get real world throughput at over 500 Mbps

It may not be as good as CAT5 - but its clearly a substitute in many circumstances where you don't have CAT5 ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The issue, AFAIAC, is that having been bitten twice by Powerline crap, I'm reluctant to try any more. The issue isn't the throughput (I'm getting better throughput from it than the broadband), but that it goes away altogether every few minutes.

Reply to
Huge

Usually yes. It also does not halve the throughput of the wifi as the budget single radio wifi repeaters do.

It might work - although depending on the wiring configuration you could have difficulties (say if the building has 3 phase).

Something like:

Can work well in applications like that - it gives you both wired and wireless at the remote end. Pretty quick and easy to setup.

Reply to
John Rumm