Mega D-I-Y.

Many public swimming pools seem to be only half length in the UK.

Reply to
Andrew

I think we only have about a dozen that are 50mx25m

Reply to
Andy Burns

or possibly litres.

Had a swim in one? We all have our *own* Olympic pools, don't you know!

Reply to
Tim Streater

And there have been one or two that were full size, until they put the tiles on.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

If you're doing an advert for a Pickup Truck, the unit is the "ton".

If there is a productivity report in the Business section of the newspaper, then a baffling array of near-equivalents is given. To make all sorts of weirdos happy :-)

The purpose of all these definitions, is to cheat people. The more definitions there are, the more likely it is that someone is getting shafted (miners).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Looks like some changes may be in store

Andrew

They're easy to dig.

All you need is a shovel, and... determination.

The deep end, it's been a while since I've been to one, but I believe it's on the order of 16 feet or so. Swimming down to the bottom "manually", without using a dive board, is a bit of effort. (It's hard on the ear drums too.) The lifeguards don't like you doing that either, because it's hard to see whether you're OK or in trouble, down there. Like, some fool will swim down there on purpose, and then "stop moving" :-)

My sister used to be a lifeguard at that pool. You need multiple guards for a pool that big, and especially, around the diving area (too many idiots, during public swims). That would take about three guards, one just for the diving area, one in the chair, one covering the shallow end (where the "incautious" live).

You would think it would be impossible, for a non-swimmer to get in trouble in the shallow end of that pool. Yet, they do it. You're just as likely to have someone floating face down in the shallow end, as in the deep end. If you're guarding the shallow end, you can't be asleep, because the people will always find a way to get in trouble. Maybe that person is practicing the "jelly fish float" or maybe... they've passed out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Not if you breath out first.

We never did ours that stupidly and didnt have any at all in the big pools in Singapore.

Reply to
Rod Speed