Meat pies and fuel cost

Yes ,we do that as well sometimes. As it happens the tall wire support from the Comb Micro is just the right the height to go over our saucepans to support the plates over some simmering vegetables though most of the time we will be using a multi level steamer or a pressure cooker. During the colder months the wire support is often put on top of the wood burner which keeps plates at a nice temperature for serving. Often use that to cook something slowly, a nice piece of silverside beef cooked a treat last night after being put on at bedtime about midnight.

G.Harman

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I use the normal oven part of my Combi oven frequently, but not in combination with microwave. Just choose the temp, usually 180 centigrade,wait for a few minutes to get to that temp, shove the pie in, set 25 minutes or whatever and that's it.

You're supposed to leave space for ventilation when using this mode but all the pending junk mail sits on top (on a glass work top saver on top of the oven actually) and it never gets so hot that you cannot touch it.

Reply to
Andrew

can't be much going on, judging by this thread.

Reply to
critcher

Ten minutes in a normal microwave, and you can eat the soft skin getting the vitamin C and other good stuff.

Reply to
Max Demian

The microwave oven is your friend regarding efficiency. Use it whenever you can.

Reply to
harry

It won't be on for the whole time.

Reply to
harry

10 minutes in microwave and 15 in the oven which will be up to temp by that time.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

harry used his keyboard to write :

Microwave is at best 50% efficient in turning input to heat, but what output there is, is mostly used to heat the food, rather than the air in the box.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I was in no doubt about that as you ought to have gathered by my using the expression "heat shield". The makers of this naff oven (not a Neff BTW) had obviously decided to opt for a cheap solution rather than Bosch's more elegant triple glazing solution.

As to the relative merits of lower running costs with the higher capital cost of the Bosch against the Naff's low capital but higher running costs, I make no claims: there might be a crossover point in the TCO calculations depending on how much use each oven gets during its lifetime so I see no point in arguing a case for either oven on this basis alone.

My main point was in the shocking contrast between the expensive and efficiently heat insulated door of the Bosch and the cheap 'n' cheerful low insulation efficiency of the Naff oven door design approaches.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Not in my cat E combi oven.

3 mins one side, turn over and give another 3 mins, then leave for a couple of mins for residual heat to do remaining cooking, then cut a slot and stuff a lump of cheddar inside and give it another minute.

10 Mins would reduce it to a shrivelled mess with a skin like a leather boot.

Vivaldi's seem to be the best (IMHO).

Reply to
Andrew

Microwave first then short burst in hot oven.

Reply to
F MurtzLive session user

I find the warmth coming out of the vents is just right for softening the butter in a dish ready to spread on the jacket potatoes cooking inside.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

But a nice crusty skin is 90% of the pleasure of a good baked potato. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed! Microwaves are excellent, but they have their place. Some foods such as pastry are just better in a conventional oven. With baked potatoes, I rub oil all over, followed by salt flakes, then skewer each potato and bake for an hour or so at 200. I can see, though, that doing so can get a little extravagant for just one potato, unless something else is being baked at the same time.

Getting back to the original discussion, the potatoes as above are cooked in the combi, in conventional mode. Perfect with cold meats.

Reply to
Graeme

Microwave ovens effectively steam things. Anything that needs dry heat is better cooked, or at least finished, in a conventional oven. I m/wave potatoes, then give them 10 minutes in the oven at the end to crisp up the skin.

Reply to
Huge

I microwave it first (wrapped in kitchen paper after pricking all over with a fork) to partially cook the inside (look up your device instructions for time which also depends on potatoes size) Then dip in oil and salt and into a hot oven for 1/2 hour maximum.

Of course if you are using your oven for other things, the shorter overall cooking time may not matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IME that's a lie

tim

Reply to
tim...

or even drop them in the fryer for you ;-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

I've seen "cook from frozen for best results" so often that I've never questioned it. Although I have never understood why it should be so.

Perhaps this article goes some way to explaining it.....

steaks/

Reply to
pamela