Resuscitating superglue

I've got a little plastic pot, 20g, of superglue. This one:

It's several years old and gets infrequent use. Over time it's thickened to the point where it's become unusable. I've had to throw it out in the past when it's reached this point.

Today, on a whim, I stuck it in the microwave on full power for 10s which brought it back to its original liquid state, allowing me to do the job I needed.

It got very hot and has changed colour slightly. I don't know if the microwave trick will work again, but if not I'm happy to have got one last job out of it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

next time top it up with acetone (nail varnish remover)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I buy the cheap stuff that comes in tiny tubes about 5-10 tubes for £1 at the £1 shop. I use what I need from one tube per job, then throw it away.

Are there different grades of superglue, or is it all the same stuff?

Reply to
GB

BTW, when you replace it, (i) keep the pot in the fridge, which slows down the rate at which it goes "off" & (ii) when you use any, get the top back on as quickly as you can. It's the moisture in the sir that makes it go "off", so minimise exposure to the air unless you want it to set.

Reply to
Huge

If you are lucky the Pound Shop will have three bottles for a quid. Each containing "10g". You can use the bottles time and time again until they are empty. Much better than those horrible tubes.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I've been very surprised as just how long a tube stored in the fridge lasts. I used one yesterday that must have been opened last summer and it is still in perfect condition.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, and based on a sample of one, it appears there are different qualities of the stuff. My brother-in-law bought a tube of Loctite Superglue while he was here and left it in my fridge where it remained usable for nearly 3 years. The pound shop mini tubes generally last me about six months when stored in there.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

Ahh, nice tip. Thanks.

This is the problem with the little bottles, I think. The more you use it, the more air is left in the bottle above the glue. The squeezy tubes can have the end folded over to minimise the amount of trapped air as the glue is used up.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

When I was younger, I used to work at a coil manufacturing site. the formers and base were glued together using superglue. We then poked the wires down the pins and dipped them into a solder pot. Now in addition to the noxious fumes from the solder there was another less smelly but apparently more dangerous problem. Cyanide gas from the glue when it was heated, so we had to wear sp3ecial filters. The thing always worried me a bit as I think I am right in saying that this glue was originally developed for gluing wounds together, and if it really does contain cyanide, this seems to me to be a worry! Anyone? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On CSI they always used superglue heated in a fume cabinet to fix human fingerprints so they could be seen, so it obviously does outgas. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's in a compound and perfectly safe.

However, non-medical cyanoacrylate can cause skin irritation, and the setting process can be rather exothermic.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The fumes are not cyanide, and the glue does not contain (potassium) cyanide.

It is a cyanoacrylate.

"The fumes from CA are a vaporized form of the cyanoacrylate monomer that irritate sensitive membranes in the eyes, nose, and throat. They are immediately polymerized by the moisture in the membranes and become inert. These risks can be minimized by using CA in well ventilated areas. About 5% of the population can become sensitized to CA fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in flu-like symptoms.[23] CA may also be a skin irritant, causing an allergic skin reaction. The ACGIH assign a Threshold Limit Value exposure limit of 200 parts per billion. On rare occasions, inhalation may trigger asthma. There is no singular measurement of toxicity for all cyanoacrylate adhesives because of the large number of adhesives that contain various cyanoacrylate formulations.

The United Kingdom's Health and Safety Executive and the United States National Toxicology Program have concluded that the use of ethyl cyanoacrylate is safe and that additional study is unnecessary.[24] The compound 2-octyl cyanoacrylate degrades much more slowly due to its longer organic backbone and the adhesive does not reach the threshold of tissue toxicity. Due to the toxicity issues of ethyl cyanoacrylate, the use of 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for sutures is preferred."

Cyanide as you understand it, is potassium cyanide or hydrogen cyanide. HCN. Superglue contains a CN group in it, but it is tightly bound to the rest of the molecule.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

it doesn't outgas , it sublimes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

rather? Apparently it can cause cotton buds to burst into flames..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[17 lines snipped]

I buy the Screwfix "No Nonsense" 50g bottles and they usually run out before they go off, providing that you (i) keep them in the fridge, (ii) put the cap back on promptly & (iii) tap them firmly, base down on a hard surface each time you use them to displace the glue from the nozzle (else it *will* eventually glue the nozzle on.)

Reply to
Huge

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Acetone seems reasonable, but some nail varnish remover these days contains water, which might not go down well with cyonacrylate, so choose carefully. Gun cleaner for expanding foam seems to be just acetone.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I've some remover (rescued when my neighbour was dumping it) and it has conditioner in it - might stop the glue from becoming brittle.

Reply to
PeterC

Ditto with ethyl acetate nail varnish removers.

Reply to
pamela

The cyanocobalamin form of vitamin B12 is another example of a cyanide containing compound that is non-toxic. In normal doses, at any rate.

Reply to
pamela