Superglue (CA) wood finish.

Hello all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar finish to superglue on wood? I like the 'wet look' it gives, and the smooth finish. Only asking in case there is a better / cheaper method I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Reply to
pastedavid

--------------------------------------------------------- This a link to Epifanes on the Jamestown Distributors web page.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

For turning finishes it is still the quickest way to get there. Bigger bottles are more bang for your buck.

Reply to
Leon

Zpoxy

Reply to
tommyboy

Hey.... slow down.... too much detail to process from you all at once....

Are you finishing a front door?

Are you finishing a table top?

Are you finishing a sea sloop?

A jewelry box?

A toilet seat?

A pen?

An outdoor shelf?

Questions like your are akin to "hey, I'm gonna do some painting, and I like the shiny stuff. Can anyone recommend a type of paint and a color, too?"

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

In no particular order... 1. varnish 2. lacquer 3. shellac

Reply to
dadiOH

Well no firm plans at the minute, but one day I hope to finish a bog seat. Who wouldn't?!

Yes. :D

I was arsing around with an old floorboard the other day, and I ended up spilling some CA on to it. I had previously heard of people using CA as a finish, but I had not paid much attention. However, the finish that resulted on this floorboard was wonderful, so I had a litle experiment - I sanded a patch down and gave it two coats of CA (with a light sanding inbetween). The wood took on a lovely wet-look with a nice matt or silk finish, depending on how I sanded it up. It seemed to be fairy durable, too, as wacking it with a hammer didn't do too much other than a few small dents.

The reason I ask about alternatives is that the glue isn't the cheapest way of finishing a door, for example, but it seems like it would be quite suitable - good looking and (possibly?) durable (the piece of floorboard is now outside to see what the weatehr does to it) so if this finish was already well-known and there were any alternatives, I was curious.

I DO actually have two external doors to refinish (when it warms up), so asking now seemed like a good idea in preparation.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
pastedavid

Cheers!

Reply to
pastedavid

-------------------------------------------------- wrote:

--------------------------------------------- You'll love the stuff for exterior natural finish doors.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Keep us posted on this.

I had a tube of CA in my tool box I took to a IEEE show for Testers. We used some and the tools - packed up and the box shipped back with the equipment. In a week I got my box of hand tools and the whole box had a thin layer of CA over everything. There was oil on the tools and flux in a pot - so the contaminants were CA and oil mist when the truck got hot on the trip. It took a month or so and the CA powered off everything - the whole box was white with dust. I think the CA was taken apart by the oil. It might have been while it was drying or afterwards. I don't know. Just that CA doesn't last on the outside of stuff.

Mart> On Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:49:40 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Nitro lacquer, cured and rubbed.