Meat pies and fuel cost

Maybe you should use it more often then? My fan oven gets to 200°C in 8 minutes, and most food that wants 200°C in a conventional oven only requires 180°C in a fan oven ... croissants will be baked, cooled and eaten by 30 minutes :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Instructions: "Unsuitable for microwave cooking" - hum - ping - job done!

Reply to
PeterC

You're going to have to take them out of the pack in order to eat them, so why not do it a couple of minutes earlier?

Reply to
charles

Ours is a twin oven, small at the top with a larger one below. Whilst I appreciate it is gas, I would be surprised if it were the equivalent of more than 2Kw each, either oven is easily up to temperature in 8 minutes. They are a gas/fan oven and as we all know they have to be vented for the combustion.

If it took 20 to 30 minutes, then it would be replaced as unfit for the purpose.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Pastry doesn't microwave well - but if it's only filling you want it's fine. I prefer my food to taste good, too.

Reply to
charles

I agree. Here, everything goes in the microwave if at all possible. And often it goes in the microwave even if it's not supposed to be possible.

Unfortunately my wretched frozen pies use raw pastry. That's a show stopper. I tell you, I'm going to look much more closely at the online description in future. :)

Reply to
pamela

Anyone have experience of doing them successfully in a Combination Microwave?

We had such an oven some time ago, and never took to using the heating element for anything. That part went to the tip completely unused and I suspect I'm not the only one that got sold one ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Next time you get a microwave get a combination one that can cook conventionally as well or has programmes that combine both.

Avoids soggy pasty syndrome.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I eat them from the supplied tray - saves washing-up.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Adrian Caspersz presented the following explanation :

Ours is a combi mw/grill/oven. It was bought as a combi, just for emergencies, but we have a second emergency gas oven available in the caravan too on bottled gas. Neither has been used to cover emergencies so far, I did though test the combi's oven and it cooked well enough though rather lacking in capacity.

I suspect a combi would be a very good buy for someone in a bedsit type accommodation.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

for how many days can a chip shop pie stay in the hot shelf before becoming unfir to sell?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

If they clean it regularly which without being too rude is not the priority for many who may be in such accommodation such as students who have not yet learned the cleaning ethic or those who are just a bit inadequate in life for various reasons such as age, disability or intelligence. Microwaving splashed fat deposits can be smelly and unpleasant with lots of fumes.

Mother, who kept her Panasonic combination spotless got the knack of using it to produce some good cakes. Things like chickens really need cooking in a roasting bag or similar or time saved on cooking is replaced by time cleaning the oven so it can be used cleanly in microwave only mode. We sometimes use ours on conventional mode only as a convenient plate warmer.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , Adrian Caspersz writes

We use our combination as a conventional oven almost every day. Heats up much quicker than a 'proper' oven, and cooks just as well.

Reply to
Graeme

Till the pastry dries up and curls around the green tinged meat enough that it goes on sale again as a sausage roll in batter.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , charles writes

Hmm.. self catering is bad enough without having to work at it!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The ventilation is to keep the room facing surface cooler so kids don't get burned when the brush against the cooker.

Reply to
mechanic

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Agreed. Wifey makes almost all her cakes in the combination oven. I'm a traditionalist so that means fruit cakes or Victoria sponge, but she has made things like brownies, shortbread and flapjack for child.

Reply to
Graeme

I use our combi. Jacket potatoes, 25 mins and they are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.

Reply to
dennis

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk explained :

When self catering, I have never thought to do that. I like warm plates and my usual method is to place them on top of a pan of simmering water. No chance of them over heating that way.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Defrost in the microwave before cooking in the oven?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)