Masonry Paint

Opened a 5l tub of masonry paint and it's got lots of soft lumps of paint it it. The lumps don't brush out, they just sort of blob on the surface being painted. It's been opened a couple of years back. Is it salvageable - I could filter it perhaps?

Or if it's going the way of the tip, any recommendations (white, for some concrete lintels/sills and a garden wall) please?

Reply to
RJH

Got a mixing paddle for your drill?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ive just repainted a 17 year old paint job in sandtex professional masonry paint. Mostly the stuff was still OK

Damned good paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dulux sure lasts well. But their prices...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes - I'll give that a go, thanks. And thanks for the brand tips downthread.

Reply to
RJH

The tip no longer will take paint. I know this to my cost. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Free permit for 12 cans every 6 months here, or just tip in onto sheets of newspaper and leave it to dry in the sun

Reply to
Andy Burns

or freecycle

Reply to
tabbypurr

I do wonder if the longevity depends a lot on if the property has been painted before. The original coat of paint is onto a rough surface which forms a good key. Subsequent coats will be onto old paint which will deteriorated over the years. I don't recall ever seeing anyone removing the old masonry paint, apart where it is obviously flaking off by itself, before repainting.

Reply to
alan_m

I at my local tip the other day and someone in earshot asked about paint.

Paint that has hardened in the tin = general rubbish bin at the tip. Tin of paint with a minor amount of liquid paint - general rubbish bin at the tip. Tin with significant amounts of paint = special bin at the tip - leave paint in the can with lid.

The tip staff are now very strict about what goes in the hardcore skips which is limited to ceramics (toilet systems/wall tiles) concrete and bricks. Cement (powder- bags of) not allowed nor is plaster from walls. The latter two are general rubbish. No plastic rubble sacks or empty cement/plaster bags being recycled for waste transportation are allowed in the skip.

Plaster board, new off-cuts or used, have a special recycling bin.

Reply to
alan_m

That's odd. Recently took my 25 year collection of paint tins that might come in useful someday to the tip and left them in the box provided for that purpose. (But our LA isn't yet as draconian as a lot of them.)

Reply to
Bill Taylor