Really Bright Blue Masonry Paint

By bright my girlfriend means vibrant like a peacock. This doesn't seem to exist anywhere, although I've seen it on a couple of houses. You can find it in ordinary emulsions though - Are masonry paint colours duller because they need to resist sunlight?

Is there any reason why ordinary vinyl emulsion should not be used on exterior masonry?

Reply to
Peter

A Johnstone's Decorating Centre will mix masonry paint for just about whatever colour SWMBO desires.

16,000 colours in Stormshield smooth
7,000 in Stromshield pliolite
etc

But you don't have to tell her :)

Reply to
Robin

I don't think bright colours exist in any water based paint. You need oil based for that

Reply to
stuart noble

Well people told me that when I had my house painted in white they needed to wear sunglasses to walk past it, and over five years later its still pretty bright I understand.

I'm sure there are lots of colours out there, however, I'd be mindful of the neighbours opinions before going overboard!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

o exist anywhere, although I've seen it on a couple of houses. You can find it in ordinary emulsions though - Are masonry paint colours duller because they need to resist sunlight?

erior masonry?

Thanks,

I too thought it was the water / oil based thing which meant masonry paint was not available in vibrant colours but they are in water-based interior e mulsions. Even Johnstone's 16000 masonry hues include no vibrant blues. No- one I've spoken to seems to know why...

Peter

Reply to
Peter

If you want really vibrant paint colours, you might think of looking at theatrical paint. Bristol Paints are one supplier:

charles

Dulux Striking Cyan (for example) seems pretty bright to me:

Reply to
Chris French

Sorry about that. Clearly I don't know what is "vibrant blue". Could give a link to an example? And have you tried uploading one to a paint supplier's colour matcher (eg

Robin

Probably something to do with pigment phthalocyanine not being dispersible in emulsions. It's why "water colour" paintings look the way they do, and oils have the vibrant colours

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks for all advice but I have drawn a blank. Bristol Paints looked hopef ul - they do a really intense blue based on the Majorelle Gardens in Marrak ech, but it is for temporary theatrical sets and fades quickly. Also can on ly be applied in very dry conditions...called Rubbertex. with lots of latex in apparantly.

Reply to
Peter

They look a bit garish, This is a scruffy village near Southampton and used to look quite dull until the Tobermory look kicked in.

Seems to have been done with a bit more thought. ISTR seeing similar paint schemes in Ireland a fair while before they started to appear in Great Britain.

Done nicely they be an improvement on dung splattered white or cream Snowcem which seemed ubiquitous in certain areas years ago but like everything some go over the top.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg