Home Automation, 1950`s U.S. style

From another place:

>My house was built in the late 50's with everything electric made by GE.

It had a GE heat pump, an electrostatic air cleaner that looked like it was from a nuke plant, even GE wire nuts! It still has the 24volt latching rel ay system for the lighting. There are 18 circuits for the output, directly from the relay to the lights / outlets. All over the place I have 3 wire lo w voltage runs to rocker switches that control the relays. While this may s eem a nightmare, the whole thing works very well. The relays are still used in big commercial buildings , still available, and everything is pretty ro bust. Because the control can be easily ganged I have the ability to turn o n the upstairs hall light from within each bedroom and downstairs so it is the equivalent of a 7 way switch. From the master bedroom there is a rotary selector and rocker to control every circuit on the system.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I remember our school hall being fitted with new lighting in the late '50s. Fluorescent, and dimmable. The dimmer taking up half the space in the stage lighting control room. With a handle more like a beer pump.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sterling Moss probably used to own your house then... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Please tell me we are not going to have the wire nuts too.

Reply to
Graham.

In article , Adam Aglionby writes

They certainly get the prize for the longest line in usenet history, 800 plus chars :-)

Reply to
fred

surPRISE!

Andy Burns

The reviewer seems to like using them without any form of enclosure.

Reply to
Graham.

Including weatherproof ones!

These sound like they have internal metal threads. Who remembers those bastard all-ceramic ones?

Reply to
newshound

I do. Scruit(tm)

I rather like them - not for mains, but they work surprisingly well for tinsel cable. And the ones I have removed from mains, in my 40 year old lighting circuits, still seem to be making good connections. I remove them and save them carefully.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The Honeywell zone valves in my central heating are the original type without the removable head.

The motor was connected to the two wires in the 4 core flex by twisted conductors and those ceramic wire nuts. Replaced with choc bloc singles now.

Reply to
Graham.