Masking tape on new paint

I have just fitted some anti slip industrial vinyl to our bathroom floor. My wife has painted the skirting boards, but how long will I have to wait before masking the skirting off, to apply a bead of sealant, without ripping the paint off the skirting, when I come to remove the tape?

The paint is Dulux oil based and the wood was well rubbed down first, the masking tape is a propriety brand low tack one and will only be on long enough for me to apply the seal, and finger it off. An hour tops.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Maybe try an inconspicious area first?

In any case the tape only really needs rubbing along the edge to be masked off, instead of it's whole width.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I know that the tape is described as low tack, but I have had problems in the past with this type of tape. Hence my question to those with more experience.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi,

Maybe give Dulux a call or try the talk forum on Screwfix.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

OK will do

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I wouldn't expect to get away with masking tape on any new paint. Even things like emulsion which feel dry in an hour actually take weeks to reach final strength.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

one week - oil based paints gain about 70+ of their "final" properties in this time.

Reply to
diypaint

Thanks all.

Dave