Masking tape top tip

I hate removing masking tape. You get paint all over your hands and when you try & put the tape in a plastic sack, it sticks to the sack & clogs the opening.

Simple solution; piece of cardboard, roughly A4, but it doesn't really matter.

Lift one end of tape & stick to card. Now revolve cardboard between hands so tape winds itself on, sticky side down.

No mess on hands, slips into rubbish sack without sticking.

It's only taken me 30+ years to come up with :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

When I could see, I used to use an old toilet roll middle like this. Still get some paint on fingers but its better than the rush at it with hands approach. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't find masking tape that effective. Some paint always seems to find its way under the edge. I prefer a steady hand and, for skirting boards, a bit of thin plastic slid underneath to protect carpets or newspaper to protect hard floors. It is quicker too, as you don't need to spend the time putting the tape on and taking it off afterwards.

Reply to
Nightjar

I hoped you were coming up with a tip on how to peel it from the roll without it tearing. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah, that would be useful!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Buy fresh rolls of it. It does seem to have a limited shelf life.

mark

Reply to
mark

Google Frogtape. It's brilliant.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Frogtape doesn't do that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Me (to experienced decorator): "How do you stop paint getting on the carpet?"

Experienced decorator: "scissors"

Reply to
RobertL

Never use masking tape where it gets wet. Once wetted it is almost impossible to remove. I once used it when putting anti fouling paint on a boat hull.the tide came in just before I finished. What a pain getting the masking tape off the next day!

Reply to
Broadback

Last time I painted the skirting board in the room I am in right now, I used Lidl's fairly inexpensive silver duct tape. Put it such that it went up the board a little, then pushed it down hard with scraper (what Screwfix seem to call decorator's or filling knives) so the edge was well out of sight. As the duct tape was a bit narrow for my clumsiness, I added a strip of wide masking tape as well.

I did that all round before even starting the ceiling and emulsioning. So it protected the bit between the dustsheets and the skirting from that.

Left it in place until all painting finished and dried, then simply pulled it up and threw it away. Any imperfections were way down below the top of the carpet pile, so don't really matter.

I was so happy with the technique, I shall do similarly in future.

Reply to
polygonum

You still need to spend the time applying it and removing it after. Painting with a steady hand is a lot quicker.

Reply to
Nightjar

Masking tape comes in different grades, some can be left on for days, some you need to remove within hours.

Reply to
dennis

Put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Or leave it on an operating radiator.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

I took some budget stuff off that had been left on for months, assuming I'd be lucky to get it off at all. It peeled off perfectly. I guess there's little way to know which perform how other than testing them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/Dennis@home

What possible advantage has the latter?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Exactly, fresh masking tape also sticks better, stopping paint running under the tape.

The tape doesn't seem to like sunlight and starts going brittle and the glue goes hard.

Also, remove it as soon as practically possible. Don't leave it for next weekend to remove the masking.

Reply to
alan_m

** A tip from model-making airbrush work to stop paint bleed under the tape is to flash spray with matt varnish along the tape line.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

Cost, white quid a roll, blue UV resistant 1.89

Can`t reccomend tape n drape highly enough, disposable dust sheet on a roll, with UV resistant masking

Adam Aglionby

Heat it up in a microwave oven with a cup of water, works a treat

Reply to
Trevor Smith