Masking Tape Removal?

Supermarkets carry a product called Goo-Gone. Works nicely, based on some sort of oil, probably citrus if the smell is any indication. On non-porous surfaces like glass & car bumpers, I've used vegetable oil to remove bumper stickers, but I'm not sure if that might affect paint adversely.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

How do I get the sticky off paint that is left behind from old masking tape. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Mat

Goo-Gone is just overpriced naphtha, with a little citrus perfume, to make you *think* it is citrus oil. Mineral spirits, lighter fluid, Coleman fuel, etc., are cheaper versions of the same, minus the perfume.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

How old?

If you don't care about the finish, gasoline or lighter fuel works just fine. :-)

Other than that:

If freshly painted, I would leave it alone for at least 30 days, if oil based. If water based, I would wait at least 7 days.

THEN, use 99% isopropyl alcohol (available from your pharmacist). You can also use a light swabbing of denatured alcohol (ethanol). On really old painted surfaces, WD-40 will work faster (but use with caution on newer surfaces).

Be careful with naptha (Ronson lighter fluid), or gasoline, or thinner, on ANY painted surfaces. Paint is quite sensitive to petroleum distillates. It can dull the finish. Not recommended for glossy surfaces.

Never use acetone, MEK, turpentine, thinner (mineral spirits), etc. because these will instantly attack and/or remove the paint.

On car finishes, I would use only isopropyl alcohol or buffing compound.

YMMV.

-- -john wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~ Always listen to experts. They will explain what can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein ~~~~~~~~

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Old masking tape is not removable unless you sand it off, thus damaging what it's sticking to. Never leave it on more than a few days.

Reply to
anoldfart2