Remove masking tape from window

We are painting the outside of our house and applied masking tape to the white painted aluminum window frames to prevent getting the paint on the window frames. We forgot to remove the masking tape from the frames of a couple of windows on one side of the house after the paint had dried. Now the masking tape has dried out and will not just peel off easily. We used the plain old beige paper masking tape you see in paint and hardware stores everywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use to make the masking tape easy to remove? We have tried paint thinner and rubbing alcohol and neither work.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Peter

Absolutely preferable to smearing stuff around the job. For safety, a blade-holder that you can retract the blade into. Works great for removing any paint that gets onto glass besides.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

On 8/17/2005 1:24 PM US(ET), Peter took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Use a razor scraper like the ones they use to scrape off old registration and inspection stickers from car windshields. Or just use a single edged blade available in hardware stores. Next time use painters masking tape (blue)

Reply to
willshak

Try to find something called "Goo-gone". That will take it off.

Donna

Reply to
Donna

WD-40 often works for this. Let it soak in a while.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Water+soap+stiff nylon brush+elbow greese

A razor will get it off the glass easily but it will more likely cut gouges in the finish on the aluminum. Goo Gone will work if you can get it to saturate to the adshesive layer, if it is insulated by a layer of dried paint, you will have a hard time with any solvent short of a stripper. I might try scratching up the paint layer on top of the tape with a brush or sandpaper then switch to goo gone or acetone (test it first as this may also damage paint)

Funny how a minor oversight can turn into a major project, isn't it? The tape was supposed to make your life easier. I've seen even blue tape pull up the finish underneith, its no perfect solution either but would have been better.

Reply to
PipeDown

Razor blade scraper, then acetone, then repaint.

Reply to
Norminn

OK, I have been wondering about some masking tape I got on my steel door from a sign I had there. The sign was removed a few years ago, but the door still has the tape. I cant use a razor blade on the door or the finish will come off (white paint-like coating). I'd think acetone would dissolve the paint too. What else is there?

I've just sort of ignored the tape out of lack of a means to remove it. Someone mentioned goo (something), is that the hand cleaner "Goop"?

Reply to
maradcliff

Reply to
nospambob

Reply to
nospambob

No, it is a compound called Goo-gone -- in the US it's sold at Target, Walmart, home depot, etc. I'm sure you can order it online. It's quite amazing for removing baked on adhesive tape residue.

Donna

Reply to
Donna

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions as to how to remove masking tape from a painted aluminum window frame.

After trying a few of your suggestions, we found that the easiest way to remove the dried on masking tape was by applying heat with a hair dryer. Then it peeled off quite nicely. It did leave a glue residue behind however and we tried Donna's suggestion of using "Goo Gone" to get the glue residue off. It was easy to get the glue residue off with "Goo Gone" - a great product.

Also, as suggested, I will definitely use the green painter's Masking Tape from now on as it is easier to remove.

Thanks to all who helped! Peter

Reply to
Peter