Making long, straight cuts (ripping)

Hi all,
I no longer have my 12" table saw, which is what I'd normally use for ripping 18mm softwood. I have a small project which requires a fair bit of ripping. I'm looking at the various options available to me.
1. Get a cheap table saw for this project. Not keen on this, because I've had cheap table saws and I'm really not a fan.
2. Use a hand held circular saw. This is probably what I'll end up doing, but I really don't enjoy it, especially when trimming (cutting off say a 20mm wide strip).
3. Buy a small router table (I'd need a router too, because my decent router is also gone).
4. Jigsaw and fence.
Which would you do in the circumstances? Any other ideas?
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Out of those options, certainly (2), with (1) (4) (3) after, in that order. Waht are you ripping down, what's it for? I take it that you've already got the timber?
Chris Bacon wrote:

We're replacing a bunch of woodwork at a friend's house; skirting, architraves, t&g panelling etc. We haven't got the timber yet, but for various reasons much of it will need to be ripped (the off the shelf sizes aren't right).
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

use travis perkins. get a trade card, get them to cut it and stick it on the van (they do free delivery) or hire a decent table saw for a week ?
. wrote:

@*#?!XX(O)ings, pish. Only if you *really* need to.

Free delivery, right-ho, I can see how they do it.
Chris Bacon wrote:

needs must. seems like the OP might *really* need to. (or hire a saw)

no extra charge for delivery. is that easier for you to understand ? i.e timed delivery, don't have to hire a van, pay extra, or blag a mate.
how convenient is that ! and, get this, if you don't like what turns up on the van you can reject it and keep doing so until they give you what you want.
. wrote:

That's what I said. Obviously you didn't get it. Never mind.
Chris Bacon wrote:

but what was the point of 'splitting the hair' to such an extent ?
do you point out to other shoppers that the 'free' carrier bags in shops are really subsidised and everyone but you is being conned ?
. wrote:

Oh, God. We're back to an Aldi/Lidl thread. Please stand by.

Hey, hang on, I'm conned with everyone else! Erm... free carrier bags. "Free estimates". Free delivery. Free lunches. All the same!
Chris Bacon wrote:

hmm. ok. it's probably simpler to killfile you.
bye.
. wrote:

What a dope - if you can't understand the language then no wonder you're so sensitive to *imagined slights*. Not *my* loss, matey. Still, you won't see this, so you'll proceed in ignorance forever. Good luck.
Grunff wrote:

If you've got samples, or can make some up, I should certainly consider going to Jewson's, or somewhere else with a mill, and get them to run it off for you. You can have exactly what you want (if you don't know, they will most likely be able to show you a cupboard full of samples from previous jobs), the set-up fee is only about 15 per moulding, and after that you will pay for sawn timber (not planed, so it's cheaper!) that is simply fed through their machine and comes out as you want it. Measure up, tell them "I want X metres of that, Y of that, Z of that" & the job's done. Get a bit extra just in case. I have done this several times, for unobtainable lambstongue architrave, some fancy picture rail, and a lot of sash window mouldings. Great!
Chris Bacon wrote:

Thanks, I will definitely check this option out, it sounds like probably the best solution.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

If you need reasonable accuracy and speed, I think you're stuck with option 1. 2&4 probably involve the fence following the offcut, which is never satisfactory IME. 3 is overkill

Where's the friend?
I would be pleased to machine the timber for you, if you know the sizes ahead of time and the transport option is economically realistic.
Jewsons and the Travis Perkins timber places will machine timber to size. Frankly, it's expensive for what it is as a service, but may be the most cost effective.
Next option would be to rent a portable table saw, but that's likely to be as expensive as having it machined by the supplier.
I wouldn't consider a router/table or jigsaw - not really appropriate and very slow.
Circular saw might be OK if you buy wide boards and clamp a fence to the piece when cutting, but it will need finishing since the wanted pieces would be cut away waste, in effect.
--

.andy

Andy Hall wrote:

Devon.
Thanks very much for the offer Andy, that's very kind. However, I suspect the time/transport considerations would make it unfeasible.

I didn't know that - this may well be the best option. I'll call tomorrow to get an idea of prices.

I'll look into that too.

Ok.
It's very odd when you no longer have the tools you've come to rely on :-)
Thanks.
--
Grunff

Hmm... probably would.

I bought some western red cedar from them before I had the Felder and it wasn't too much over the odds compared with standard PAR sizes. I did have to wait about ten days because the mill was busy, though.

--

.andy

Grunff wrote:

See other reply, it's not expensive at all.

Earthquake? Fire? Volcanic erruption? Hope you were insured, anyway.
Chris Bacon wrote:

Not quite - selling up and going off travelling round the world for a couple of years. So many of the big tools have now been rehomed :-(
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Lucky you. If you go anywhere a bit basic, and have the chance to "mix in", keep an eye on how people make things - they can be *marvellous*!