Table saw Advice?

Hi, Would anyone be able to reccomend a table saw? The item is for general use, wood, MDF and even chopping offcuts and the odd tree branch to something that will fit in the wood burner.

I thought the Einhell or Erbaur would fit the bill, but they both have a few iffy reports.

I have an Evolution mitre saw and jigsaw and they are both extremely well made, but their table saw is quite low Wattage [1.4kW]

Has anyone any of these devices or can anyone reccomend anything on legs for less than £200-00

Regards

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I'm keen on Evolutions, I have both a circular saws and a chop saw and I love the way the blades ignore screws and nails when chopping up pallets for the woodburner. Maybe the finish would not satisfy the serious carpenter.

I'd have said 1.4 kW was pretty serious power for a free-standing table saw, and should be fine unless you are regularly ripping sleeper-sized timber. I have an old Clarke table saw with about a 10 inch blade and certainly less power than that, and I find it pretty scary.

Reply to
newshound

I'm always wary about comparing power where most is converted to heat.

Generally the bigger the physical size/weight of the motor the more useful power it produces.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Many thanks, you have confirmed what I was thinking myself.

I have just dropped the order into Ebay

£160-00

Seems a good price, and I do have a lot of confidence in the brand.

Regards

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

For most accurate cutting get one with a full length fence that clamps at both front and rear of the table. As for power you can never have enough.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You are probably correct, although generally I went with the approach that if a device of X Watts was good, then 2 times X Watts would be twice as good.

The Evolution blurb does say that there is less heat generated by the blade, so I assume it is very efficient at cutting.

Anyway I ordered one, so I'll soon find out.

Many thanks for the input.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

sounds like the marketing game a lot of mfrs play nowadays.

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp, Iggy wrote: I agree with newshound. A PORTABLE (might be very-very important) Circular Saw and even a simple Reciprocating Saw with a Tree Pruning Blade will yield enormously much more use while being a whole lot cheaper and much more compact. If you aren't making furniture, why act like you are? A Speed Square can get perfect results without the bulk, mess and weight.

Reply to
Iggy

Dear Iggy. Has Anyone Told You, What a perfect Ass you make of Yourself, by Over Use of Capitalization?

Reply to
Tjoepstil

replying to Tjoepstil, Iggy wrote: No, actually. Since, it's proper use and not "overuse". Properly capitalizing the official names of specific items and a word of importance makes my blah-blah-blah more readable. Something Archie might be interested in is easier to spot and refer back to. Whilst the English language is quite retarded it does have some useful features, when used.

Reply to
Iggy

Invest in extra blades for specific jobs and customise it with fences, jigs etc. Weigh it down with sandbags if it's too flimsy

Reply to
stuart noble

Agreed to both. To make the most of a table saw you need room around it.

For cutting 8x4, these days I just use two workmates and an extra stand, plus 8' and 4' sawboards and a circular saw. I hardly ever use the table saw in fact.

My late father in law was a master builder and serious carpenter but went broke and ended up in a council house with very little workshop space. He had an L shaped path around the house, with a dwarf wall retaining a lawn. He had a Clarke table saw (the one I inherited) and made a clever stand which fixed it all to the dwarf wall so that he could use that for lead-in and lead-out when ripping long stuff to size or with a bevel.

Reply to
newshound

What a load of crap. It's overuse.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Strangely, this popped up yesterday...

Bob Eager

Is he German? They capitalise all nouns, not just proper nouns.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It seems plasticky as far as the body goes, with the table being made of steel plate.

It,s an impressive size, the box was deceptive. I built the thing up in the living room with the intention of taking it upstairs to start work.

A bit of dissasembly is needed.

With hindsight I should have just bought the thing instead of the Evolution mitre saw that I got last year :-(

It has the required attachments and seems to perform the same function allbeit without the dubious benefit of the laser diode.

Anyway, thanks

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

A mitre saw is better than a table saw for some jobs, it's not wasteful to have both.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Amen to that!

Reply to