LOT20 storage heaters , old systems and changing a storage heater - anyone up on this?

Dimplex instruction manuals are on the web.

For one example here

I don't know if that is the one you are looking at but I would be surprised if they are not all similar.

And the instructions say

The peak supply must be connected via a switched fused spur with a fuse rated suitably for the appliances flex, the off-peak supply , via a 20A double pole switch. Failure to follow these instructions will mean that the manufacturer?s instructions have not been adhered to. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS

? This heater must be earthed ? Not suitable for connection via a plug top ? Do not locate the heater immediately above or below a fixed electrical point i

Reply to
Chris B

I don't know where you are but there's a Dimplex storage heater thats been sitting forlornly in my shed for about ten years since I installed an oil fired wet system. If you can transport it from Gilberdyke you're welcome to come over and get it.

Reply to
Cynic

solete one - and to make things worse, it seems they had several types back when and it is difficult to work out which, although we have been given th e link to one here which could do the job. It looks the same but has a diff erent number on it.

e old type because I can get one it seems for £200 . The new type will cost me £560 for the same size - and thats another problem because th ey seem to have altered those in the same way as they altered light bulbs - you know, the new x wattage = 40 watts old style or whatever.

can he not fix the bimetal stat? Or find out what the tripping temp is & fi t one from somewhere else?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have you thought of replacing the storage heater with a wall mounted plug in convector heater.

You should be able to get one for around £50. e.g

If it is for a bedroom running costs would be comparable with the storage heater as you shouldn't need to heat it for 24 hours only when occupied.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Might be worth doing heat loss calcs for the room its going in to work out what size you actually need. If it turns out you are going to rack up extra electricity costs of a couple of quid a day with an old "dumb" heater, you may find the more expensive heater is cheaper overall in the medium term.

Reply to
John Rumm

That very much depends on the building. The heating is never off here otherwise the structure cools down and it takes, literally, days to warm back up and the place become comfortable again. About half of the days since the begining of August have had the heating come on at

1600 when the setpoint changes from 18.5 to 20C. With no heat things get cold (
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe so, but this situation is AIUI a bedroom in a house heated by other NSR's which only requires heating when occupied.

I am only suggesting a panel heater to replace the faulty NSR not the whole of the house.

Reply to
Tufnell Park