Removing storage heaters

Sorry for a seperate post - but I forgot to include this in the last one about gloss paint! The flat I am decorating used storage heaters. Is it OK to remove these in order to paint behind them without danger of damaging anything inside ??

Reply to
NC

They are usually extremely heavy due to storage bricks. The bricks/elements can be fragile if old.

Reply to
BillR

Thanks for the info. DO they generally just attach via the 'feet', or are there often screws etc protruding from the back into the wall ?? ie, is it likely that I may HAVE to dismantle them in order to get to all the points where they are attached to the wall ??

Reply to
NC

In article , NC ventured...

(I never thought I'd join in the top-posting wars, but I've never replied to such a thread - it sure does complicate quoting! Please don't do it again.)

Ours (which are generally old) are clipped to the wall via hooks, with the weight taken by feet on the floor. So the damn things *could* be lifted up and moved - if you could lift them. I'd I thought this would be nigh on impossible without removing the contents first.

I'd recommend taking them apart. This normally isn't a problem, but take care unscrewing the elements. The front covers normally have some insulation stuck to the inside, which often attempts to fall off on removal.

HTH Mike.

Reply to
Mike Atkinson {reply address i

Hello NC

You can generally unfix (top panel often hides screws) and walk them out far enough to paint/paper, without removing the lead.

But beware, keep them upright! They are absurdly heavy and once they start tipping you won't stop 'em.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Reply to
Mindwipe

I had a play with one of these last night, undid the mounting screws and found itcame away from the wall OK. However, the feet are tucked under the carpet at the moment so I couldn't try 'walking' it out. Assuming I can do this OK, to a safe distance from the wal to allow painting, will I be OK leaving them to stand by themselves, or will I need to prop them up against something ?? Bear in mind that I will have to have them out of the room as I will be laying laminate and putting them back on top. Now, from this comes another question - will I be able to put these ontop of laminate, or am I better cutting grooves for the feet and resting them on the floor beneath ??

Reply to
NC

I have one small one in the hallway, and 2 large ones in the lounge and bedroom - I think I will just move the small one, and dismantle the large ones.

I'll be taking the carpet up before I start moving the heaters - replacing it with laminate. My question was if I could stand them on laminate once they are ready to be refitted, or will I have to cut holes in it and stand them on the floor ??

Reply to
NC

Hello NC

They stand pretty well by themselves, the only reason they're supposed to be fixed to the wall is so that little kids don't swing off them and get flat - so ensure you don't let children/pets in the room while it's loose.

Can you not peel back the carpet enough to get a sheet of hardboard/lino or whatever under the feet, then walk the thing away?

Reply to
Simon Avery

Stand them on top of the laminate. I know laminate is supposed to float due to expansion but you can't have expansion gaps round every heavy item. The heaters will tend to scratch the laminate uless you take precautions.

Reply to
BillR